locked
OWA 2010 Address Book Results issue... (Was MaxGalRows in OWA 2003) RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm struggling through an old OWA issue resurfacing with OWA 2010.  Back in the day with OWA in Exchange 2003 if you had > 100 users with the last name Smith it would only show the first 100 it found.  We could change the MaxGalRows value in the registry on the Mailbox servers to what we needed to show them all. 

    Then came the Exchange 2003 OWAAdmin tool and it was even easier to fix up the way you needed it.

    Fast forward to today...  I still have >100 Smiths.  When I type in 'Smith' in the address book search textbox I get nothing....   Well...  it says "No items were found."

    If I type in a less common name I get all the results...  Up to 50 in my review so far this morning but I suspect the answer will turn out to be 100.

     

    I really need to increase the default number of results to return in the GAL.

     

    I can work around it by having the users type smith in the To: textbox of a new message and CNTL-K and that will show all the results with a right-click but I would really like a better fix.

    Any solid knowledge?  Good guesses? 

    Thanks

    Dave

    Friday, August 27, 2010 12:13 PM

All replies

  • Hi Dave,

    In OWA 2010 Address Book, it is able to return more than 100 search result items. Your problem could be caused by the GAL. Try to create a new GAL and see if the issue persists:

    New-GlobalAddressList -Name GAL2 -IncludedRecipients “AllRecipients”

    Update-GlobalAddressList GAL2


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Thanks Gen Lin,

    To be clear...  The GAL shows all users without issue in every other client other than OWA... 

    Dave

    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Have you found a resolution to this problem?  We are also experiencing the same issue running Exchange 2010 Rollup 4.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:15 PM
  • So I thought I would post the result of the PSS call this issue generated....

    Search: The Search function in Outlook Web Access has been re-designed to provide more accurate and faster results and to reduce manual work and time that is spent finding items in a mailbox. The Search feature contains the following improvements:

    • Quick access to basic search of any folder through the search window at the top of each folder list.

    • One-click access lets users extend the search to other folders by using the drop-down list next to the search field.

    • Advanced search by using the expansion icon next to the search window. Advanced search lets users specify what part of messages, contacts, or tasks to look in. It also lets them search based on From or To values and to search by category.

     Note:

    Search results are limited to the first 100 matches found.

    This option is hard coded and cannot be change in Exchange 2007. Exchange 2003 does not use the same content indexing engine such as Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 to improve performance and best results.

    In Exchange 2010 we raised the OWA search limit from 100 (one hundred) to 1000 (one thousand).

    Also, we did a lot of improvements in Exchange 2010 regard the search where you can create filters and save in OWA through Exchange Control Panel (ECP) and discovery mailbox in OWA.

    See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335072.aspx

    So there doesn't appear to be a good fix to me based on this PSS response...  We have data in the default searchable property "Office" that looks like common last names in a decidedly mid-sized environment...  15K users.  (All the Offices are named after people) So for us it's very common to exceed 1000 search results.  We exceed 100 on most searches in the environment.  We have gone down the educate the user path to provided more criteria for searches.

    My biggest issue is that the interface returns "No items were found" instead of a note to narrow your search.

    Seems like a bug to me....

    Going back one more time to PSS to make sure we didn't have an English to English translation error because it looks like the answer refers mostly to email searches and not GAL searches...

    Dave

    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:46 PM