none
Firewall Rules RRS feed

• Question

• Can an exception be created for a Windows firewall rule? For example, let's say I close port 139 and create a block rule for that. Now, for a specific PC either by name or IP, can I create an exception for the above rule?

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:40 PM

All replies

• Tap on the Windows-key, type Windows Firewall, and select Windows Firewall with Advanced Security from the results.
    Click on Inbound Rules when the firewall window opens.
    Select New Rule from the Actions pane.
    Select Port from the Rule Type listing.
    Select TCP or UDP, and specify the ports, or a port range (e.g. 445, or 137-139).
    Select block the connection.
    Select when the rule applies (leave default if unsure).
    Add a name, e.g. Port 445, and a description, 

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

According to the Windows Firewall documentation, block rules always take precedence over allow rules, therefore even if your allow rule looks more specific than a block rule, the allow rule will not work, and the traffic matching both allow and block rules will be blocked.

So your desire is not available for firewall. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:36 AM
  • That's idiotic, what's the point of the exception then? Why did Microsoft do things like that? Totally asinine. It destroys the entire meaning of the word and the point of "exception".

• Edited by BOBBAFF Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:11 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:02 AM
  • Hi, 

I could understand your existing mode about this function. If you have concern about it, please feedback through build-in application "Feedback hub" to submit your feeling and suggestion.

Thank you for your understanding. 

If my reply is useful for you, please mark it as answer.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 21, 2019 9:14 AM