none
how to "inactivate" successors related only to inactivated tasks. RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to do this? So far as I can tell, if I inactivate a task, it's successors, if not succeeding other tasks, defaults to the start of the project. But I want them to also be inactivated.

Thanks

Monday, August 1, 2011 12:13 AM

Answers

•  

> hoping perhaps there was a way to filter for a chain of "all successors," say, and then be able to "inactivate" those.

- Create a split view as follows: the Network Diagram view on the top pane and the Gantt Chart view on the bottom pane.

- Click on your task to select it (just to cancel a previous selection) in the Network Diagram view, and then Shift + click on the same box to select all the successors. All the successors selected will be displayed on the bottom table at the same time.

- Project 2010 will not allow to inactivate the tasks in the Network Diagram view  so let's change the focus to the bottom pane. Network Diagram view will keep the selection and so we will be able to select all the successors on the bottom table.

- Click on the Task Name column header to select all the successors. Then click on the Inactivate toggle button on the Ribbon. All the successors will be inactivated.

Regards. --Ismet

Sunday, August 7, 2011 10:44 PM

All replies

• eelran --

There is no way to use the Inactivate Tasks function to inactivate a task and all of its successors.  Instead, you need to select all of the tasks you want to inactivate, and then click the Inactivate button.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, August 1, 2011 12:17 AM
  • AFter inactiving the tasks, you will also have to rework the relationships around the inactive tasks. 

I don't think I would want MS Project to inaactive related tasks for me because it would not know when to stop.  Keep in mind, MS Project doesn't understand the meaning of the task names so it couldn't inactivate tasks by work related items.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Monday, August 1, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Thanks, guys. I was looking at in terms of an algorithm. I couldn't find a direct way to do what I was looking for (which you confirmed/thanks), and hoping perhaps there was a way to filter for a chain of "all successors," say, and then be able to "inactivate" those.

Geof

Geof Narlee
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:57 PM
  • It might be possible to do what you want with some VBA code (loop through the  predecessors of a given task and inactivate them if the given task was inactive and then follow it up the chain) the outcome of how your overall project logic would look would be very hard to codify correctly. If a task was in the middle of a large chain of links it being inactive might logically mean that the next task AFTEr it in the chain now needed to have a predecessor that was farther up the chain. It would be VERY combersome if not just impossible to write code to do this as well as your brain.
    Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:32 PM
  • ...It would be VERY combersome if not just impossible to write code to do this as well as your brain.

Which in my case, means it's possible:)

THANKS!

Geof Narlee
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Jack Dahlgren wrote something like this a while back.  You might be able
    to use that as a starting point:

...look for the Trace macro.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Jacks code is awsome for tracing the chain but Ironically, has hard as that is it is not the hard part of this problem. In my mind the hard part is what to do if the inactive task in question being made inactive means that some upstream task now needs to be the predecessor to the tasks that were the immediate successors to the inactive task.

If that never happens then adding some code to Jacks code to inactivate some tasks is easy. If the logic needs to be reworked based on the inactivation then it gets rough.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:08 PM
  • I was thinking that that would be handled already, with a "bypass", should that upstream task be required.
    Geof Narlee
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 1:49 PM
  •  

> hoping perhaps there was a way to filter for a chain of "all successors," say, and then be able to "inactivate" those.

- Create a split view as follows: the Network Diagram view on the top pane and the Gantt Chart view on the bottom pane.

- Click on your task to select it (just to cancel a previous selection) in the Network Diagram view, and then Shift + click on the same box to select all the successors. All the successors selected will be displayed on the bottom table at the same time.

- Project 2010 will not allow to inactivate the tasks in the Network Diagram view  so let's change the focus to the bottom pane. Network Diagram view will keep the selection and so we will be able to select all the successors on the bottom table.

- Click on the Task Name column header to select all the successors. Then click on the Inactivate toggle button on the Ribbon. All the successors will be inactivated.

Regards. --Ismet

Sunday, August 7, 2011 10:44 PM