none
Doubt on Power Setting Group Policy

Question

• Hi, 

I have configured a Group policy setting where Users console will not get locked out at all.

The settings I have used is Computer Configuration- Power options- Created a Power Plan- and under Display tab- I have given Turnoff display after 0 minutes. So that user console will not get locked at all.

My query here is is it possible to set the option for 48 hours ? so that the user console will only get locked if the user is not used for 48 Hours ?

And also please let me know the maximum hours can be set here ?

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>My query here is is it possible to set the option for 48 hours ? so that the user console will only get locked if the user is not used for 48 Hours ?
    >And also please let me know the maximum hours can be set here ?

I didn't find any documentation regarding the maximum value of this Group Policy Preference setting. However when I manually enter 2880 (48 hours) for this field, it got saved correctly. Seems it's possible to set the option for 48 hours.

There is another similar Group Policy setting that can also be used to control the display settings:

Computer Configuration>Policies>Administrative Templates>System>Power Management>Video and Display Settings>Turn Off the Display (On Battery)/Turn Off the Display (Plugged In)

The max allowed value for these options is 4294967295 seconds, if you enter a value that lager than this, you will get an error message. It's far greater than 48 hours, so configuring Windows to wait for 48 hours before turing off the display should not be a problem. But seems the setting mentioned in your question can accept larger value than this. Just for your reference.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

I have configured a Group policy setting where Users console will not get locked out at all.

The settings I have used is Computer Configuration- Power options- Created a Power Plan- and under Display tab- I have given Turnoff display after 0 minutes. So that user console will not get locked at all.

My query here is is it possible to set the option for 48 hours ? so that the user console will only get locked if the user is not used for 48 Hours ?

And also please let me know the maximum hours can be set here ?

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

>My query here is is it possible to set the option for 48 hours ? so that the user console will only get locked if the user is not used for 48 Hours ?
    >And also please let me know the maximum hours can be set here ?

I didn't find any documentation regarding the maximum value of this Group Policy Preference setting. However when I manually enter 2880 (48 hours) for this field, it got saved correctly. Seems it's possible to set the option for 48 hours.

There is another similar Group Policy setting that can also be used to control the display settings:

Computer Configuration>Policies>Administrative Templates>System>Power Management>Video and Display Settings>Turn Off the Display (On Battery)/Turn Off the Display (Plugged In)

The max allowed value for these options is 4294967295 seconds, if you enter a value that lager than this, you will get an error message. It's far greater than 48 hours, so configuring Windows to wait for 48 hours before turing off the display should not be a problem. But seems the setting mentioned in your question can accept larger value than this. Just for your reference.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:46 AM