none
the network interface has been lost

Question

• Hello,

I have a Hyper-V host and network storage which is connected to that host via two network cards using iSCSI and MPIO.
    After an updating 2-3 weeks ago I noticed that one interface has disappeared. Ipconfig and netsh don't see it.

ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HYPER-1
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : 

Ethernet adapter LAN2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-C4-7A-4A-9B-F9
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b171:f50e:3747:d4fc%13(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.255.9.12(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 369935482
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-23-01-4F-0C-C4-7A-4A-9B-F8
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.255.9.11
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces
    Idx     Met         MTU          State                Name
    ---  ----------  ----------  ------------  ---------------------------
      1          50  4294967295  connected     Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
     13          10        1500  connected     LAN2
    get-wmiobject win32_networkadapter | select netconnectionid, name, InterfaceIndex, netconnectionstatus
    netconnectionid                              name                                                                       InterfaceIndex netconnectionstatus
    ---------------                              ----                                                                       -------------- -------------------
    LAN1                                         Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection                                             12 2
    LAN2                                         Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connectio...                                           13 2
    Get-NetAdapter
    Name                      InterfaceDescription                    ifIndex Status       MacAddress             LinkSpeed
    ----                      --------------------                    ------- ------       ----------             ---------
                              Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2                                                     0 bps
    LAN2                      Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Co...#2      13 Up           0C-C4-7A-4A-9B-F9         1 Gbps
    LAN1                      Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Conn...      12 Up           0C-C4-7A-4A-9B-F8         1 Gbps

I tried to disable and enable this interface but the server got disconnected:

Disable-NetAdapter -Name LAN1

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Disable-NetAdapter 'LAN1'
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"):
    WARNING: The network connection to hyper-1 has been interrupted. Attempting to reconnect for up to 4 minutes...
    WARNING: Attempting to reconnect to hyper-1 ...
    WARNING: The network connection to hyper-1 has been restored.

Now I have problems with my backup task and many iSCSI errors:

How can I bring this interface back?
    Can I remove this interface from MPIO without any interruptions?

Also MCS configured as Round Robin. Should I change it?

Thank you in advance!

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a nice day! Thanks for your question.

Please try the following suggestions to see if it helps.

1)You can select "Insert integration service installation disk" in the menu "Operation" of the virtual machine and install driver.

Refer to the following link: The network connection is lost on a Hyper-V virtual machine

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2223005/the-network-connection-is-lost-on-a-hyper-v-virtual-machine

2) Hyper-V creates a VM by default, and the default MAC address of the network adapter is dynamic. if you have done a host migration, the interface will be lost.

Clear network configuration cache file or set the assigned MAC address to static on Hyper-V Manager will make sense.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:50 AM
  • Hi Michael Hxy,

Thank you for your answer but the interface has been lost on the hardware server, not on a virtual machine...

How I have solved the problem with the backup: the LAN2 didn't have the default gateway.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:59 AM
  • Are there any ideas how to bring the interface LAN1 back?
    Friday, July 13, 2018 8:03 AM