Event Viewer contains - "The description for Event ID (...) from source (...) cannot be found" for many events. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The situation I am experiencing is that Windows Vista Business has been observed to become unresponsive.

On rare occasions recently, the system will become unresponsive, the mouse can still move around but none of the open windows operate properly, if at all.

Even attempting to launch IE will report "explorer is not a valid win32 application".

Rebooting the machine is the only way to get it 'normal' again.  But after viewing the event viewer after the reboot, I am led to believe something is awry.

Several events contained in the event viewer says "The description for Event ID (...) from source (...) cannot be found"

Replace (...) with the appropriate ID's and services of course.

There are a few events Sources which actually do report without this message (Sources: Service Control Manager, EventLog, Tcpip)

Some of the larger offender Sources

Microsoft-Windows-User-PnP - (Event ID 20001/20003)

Obviously a lot during reboots when this source is loading various drivers.

DistributedCOM - (Event ID 10029)

netman / vds / vss ?

The Kernel-General (Event ID 6) source reports:

An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE'.

An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): '\??\C:\Users\Admin\ntuser.dat'.

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\RegBack\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

Disk (Event 51) reports:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR3 during a paging operation.

Any insight is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

- Joe

Monday, April 12, 2010 8:43 PM

All replies

• I am also experiencing this issue.... has anyone been able to trace the root cause?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:40 PM