The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to. RRS feed

• Question

• I think I may have locked myself out of my windows 7 machine. If the administrator account is not enabled and the only account on the machine is locked out due to failed password attempts (my 7 year old niece was playing on the keyboard). How do I recover? When i boot the computer to safe mode it doesnt show the administrator account as a option. Please help..i really dont want to have to install windows 7 all over again...
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:32 AM

Answers

• I think I may have locked myself out of my windows 7 machine. If the administrator account is not enabled and the only account on the machine is locked out due to failed password attempts (my 7 year old niece was playing on the keyboard). How do I recover? When i boot the computer to safe mode it doesnt show the administrator account as a option. Please help..i really dont want to have to install windows 7 all over again...

never mind..i had just set the lock out period to 180 mins. I was able to log in now...Thanks anyway

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Monday, July 18, 2011 10:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Friday, July 22, 2011 10:06 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:59 AM

All replies

never mind..i had just set the lock out period to 180 mins. I was able to log in now...Thanks anyway

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Monday, July 18, 2011 10:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Friday, July 22, 2011 10:06 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:59 AM

• Hi All, I was wondering what mine was set to and found this from a long-running thread on the subject.

Quoting Tim Quan:

---------------

1. Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

2. Click Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Account Lockout Policy.

3. Double-click Account lockout threshold, and type 0 to make “the account will not lock out”.

4. Click OK.

--------------- 

Mine WAS set to zero, so no drama. pkn2011

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Monday, July 18, 2011 4:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by pkn2011 Saturday, August 6, 2011 5:17 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:20 PM