Disable User Account Icon RRS feed

• Question

• I want to disable the user account icon (circled yellow in the attached image) which is visible on pressing windows key after user log on.

Let me know how to disable this for a single user using registry.

Thank You,

Sagar

Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:39 PM

Answers

• I go the solution. I used RestrictCpl registry settings to restrict the access to required control panel items. This also blocked user navigating to control panel on clicking user icon.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "RestrictCpl"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\RestrictCpl]
    "1"="Microsoft.Sound"
    "2"="Microsoft.DeviceManager"
    "3"="Microsoft.DateAndTime"
    • Marked as answer by SagarMC Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:54 AM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think this is possible. As this is by design.

Besides, if you want to disable the user account picture, we might follow the below steps:

• Go here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures
    • Rename user.bmp and guest.bmp to user.ren and guest.ren respectively. (The suffix actually doesn't matter -  Just chose ren (stands for 'renamed')
    • Reboot

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Michael_LS Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:42 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 6:30 AM
  • I want to disable this as clicking on the user icon is taking the user to control panel (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts) and user is able to access all control panel controls.

I cannot disable control panel completely as I need to provide access for few controls to the user such as date and time, audio controls, device management.

Is there a way to block complete access to control panel and allow user access to only to the above three controls ?

Friday, June 13, 2014 9:39 AM
  • I go the solution. I used RestrictCpl registry settings to restrict the access to required control panel items. This also blocked user navigating to control panel on clicking user icon.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "RestrictCpl"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\RestrictCpl]
    "1"="Microsoft.Sound"
    "2"="Microsoft.DeviceManager"
    "3"="Microsoft.DateAndTime"
    • Marked as answer by SagarMC Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:54 AM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:53 AM