none
What is the best front end for users to interact with a database? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Sorry for the poor title, I'm just not sure how else to phrase it; I'm new to DBA'ing.

I have a database that I want to build. I figured I would use Report Builder to build paginated reports, but I don't know what to use as a front end. I thought about Power Apps, but that is more expensive than my company would like. I really don't know what my other options are.

Any insight would be great.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:06 PM

All replies

• "The best" front end don't exists, the functionality of a front end depends hardly on type of business, business rules, what and how to enter and a lot of more requirements on the front end. A front end is always a very individual solution. a "I can handle every business" application don't exists.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:42 PM
  • I guess part of my problem is that I don't even know what options there are.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:53 PM
  • First of all, this forum is not really the best place for such a question. SQL Server is the backend, and what you use for the front-end is not really of interest to many of us who hang out here.

There are very many choice out there, and they are on different level. You can do .NET and use plain SqlClient to access SQL Server. Or you can use something like Entity Framework to the database-access code. (Which is nothing I recommend.) Or you can use a high-level environment which may mean that you don't have to write that much code - but if the database gains some size, you may be sitting with performance problems that can be difficult to address without tearing everything into pieces.

And .NET is just one example. There is Java, there is Python, there is Delphi, there is Access and all sorts of frameworks.

But as I said, this not really the best place to ask. And, no, I don't know where this question is best asked - I don't hang out in such forums. But the one advice I can give from an SQL Server perspective: select a model where  you write the SQL statements yourself, and nothing something which generates the SQL through some secret sauce.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:49 PM