In Exchange server 2007 Global Address list does not remove E-mail contacts after Deleting Users Acc in AD ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have deleted 5 Users Acc form AD but the deleted users Emails contact still available in the global address list. Please advice how to remove the deleted users contact from global address list in Exchange server 2007.

Organization Details:

Single AD and forest- windows Server 2008

Single Exchange Server 2007 with SP-1 (Typical Installation)

msras

• Edited by msras Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:36 AM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:59 AM

Answers

• The GAL is built from the AD information automatically. You don't remove them in any other way.

Therefore if you have deleted the users they should be gone from the live GAL immediately (check through OWA) and then gone from the OAB (used by Outlook in cached mode) within 48 hours for all users.

Exchange 2007 SP1 is almost at the end of support. I would recommend that you upgrade to Exchange 2007 SP3 plus rollups as soon as possible.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by msras Monday, October 3, 2011 7:08 AM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 11:42 AM

All replies

• The GAL is built from the AD information automatically. You don't remove them in any other way.

Therefore if you have deleted the users they should be gone from the live GAL immediately (check through OWA) and then gone from the OAB (used by Outlook in cached mode) within 48 hours for all users.

Exchange 2007 SP1 is almost at the end of support. I would recommend that you upgrade to Exchange 2007 SP3 plus rollups as soon as possible.

Simon.

• Marked as answer by msras Monday, October 3, 2011 7:08 AM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Helo Sembee,

Thanks for your reply..

Your Absolutely Right, As checked the GAL via OWA, it's up to date but it's not updated in outlook cached mode because as per your answer, still it's not reached 48 Hr,  I believe it will also work after 48 Hrs.

Plese let me know, is it recomended to upgrade Exc ser 2007 Sp-1 to Sp-3 directly and any precaution is required for this process ?

msras
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 1:40 PM
  • The 48 hour window is because the OAB is generated once a day by default, and the clients only download it once every 24 hours or when Outlook is started by default. Therefore it can take up to 48 hours for it to be gone everywhere.

I go straight to Exchange 2007 SP3. Just ensure that you have read the release notes and have a backup. Once the service pack is installed, run Microsoft Update to get the post SP3 rollups.

Simon.

Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:32 PM