Disaster recovery plan for SCSM and roles RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have to create backup plan for SCSM 2012 and have some question regarding backup and restore procedure.

If Management Server failed and we need to restore it:

Do we have to restore only Management server or also DataWarehouse server role also? or only first and after reconnect DataWarehouse?

If SQL Database or SQL Server with Databases failed: we need only restore SQL part or first restore SQL part and then reinstall Management Server?

Thank you

• Edited by Dmytro S Monday, October 8, 2012 3:25 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is a Disaster Recovery Guide for SCSM 2012 available: Disaster Recovery Guide for System Center 2012 - Service Manager

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

• Proposed as answer by M Fawzi Monday, October 8, 2012 11:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dmytro S Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:36 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Hello!

I have four SM servers:

1) SM Database server

2) SM Management server

3) SM Sharepoint Website (with SharePoint Foundation 2010)

4) SM Web Content server

All of them are on the one Hyper-V server. And I need to have a recovery plan in case of the Hyper-V server and all its guest OSs are lost except the Service Manager database and the encryption keys. That is all my SM servers have to be reinstalled on fresh OSs. Such the worst situation )

In Disaster Recovery Guide for System Center 2012 - Service Manager I have found the recovery plan for a SM Database and a SM Data Warehouse servers only.

What about 3rd and 4th servers?

And another important question  - Should I backup the encryption keys on those ones (3rd and 4th servers) and recover them before reinstalling the appropriate SM components on fresh OSs?

Should I backup through MS SQL Server the Service Manager database only or SharePoint_SMPortalContent database too?

As for SharePoint server recovery I have found the post  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cbead355-6304-4c50-b10b-78acf9c4b964/selfservice-portal-disaster-recovery-procedure?forum=portals

Please give me advice.

• Edited by Olegrik Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:23 AM
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 7:17 AM