File explorer is very slow on network drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got a new computer a few weeks ago, and I installed a clean installation of Win 8.1 Pro.

My new machine has 16GB of memory, a Core i7 Haswell processor and a gaming motherboard. Windows is installed on a SSD.

I mapped some network drives from a NAS I have.

Whenever I open a directory that has a large number of files on one of the drives, the file explorer becomes unresponsive and takes ~20 seconds until it becomes responsive again. Even when I let it load all the files and their thumbnails, once I go back and reopen the same folder I get this slowness.

Furthermore, when renaming a file, the whole name is selected. If I deselect the text (by pressing the home button or the arrow keys), it gets completely selected again. This repeats itself for a few seconds before I can edit the file name without deleting the whole text by accident.

My old computer (4GB of memory, Core i3, a cheap motherboard and Windows is installed on a HDD) has the same drivers mapped from the same NAS on the same router on a Windows 7 and I have no problems with it.

I found it to be a well known issue, but none of the solutions I found did any good.

I do get a much better performance when changing the layout from "Tiles" to "List".

What I've tried (and didn't work):

1. Change the folder options to display icons instead of thumbnails.

2. Remove the status bar.

3. Create a new user.

4. Reset the file index (delete and re-index).

5. Stop indexing on those folders.

6. Stop windows defender from scanning the network drives.

7. Check the updates (can't uninstall KB2919355 and KB2962409 is installed already).

8. Change folder content type optimization.

9. Turn off network discovery.

10. Delete the icon cache.

11. Disable archiving.

12. Clean boot.

13. Reboot. Lots of reboots.

14. Re-install Windows.

Does any one has any idea of anything else I can try? This is becoming very annoying.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:03 PM

Answers

• Hello TheYMI,

If my understanding is right, the new computer is very slow when the file explorer open a network directory that has a large number of files.

Do you meet the same issue when you open the folder only have a small number of file?
    How about the speed of file transfer?

Please take the following steps for troubleshooting:
    1. Use the command ping and tracert, and then compare the network path and latency time with the Windows 7
    2. Open the event viewer and check if there are any related error log. For more information about the event log, please refer to the following article. This article is about Windows 7, and the Windows 8.1 is similar.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7
    3. Use network monitor to capture the network activity between the new computer and the NAS.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938655.aspx

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Monday, December 15, 2014 11:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:36 AM

All replies

• Even reinstall Windows 8.1 does not work.

install Win7 and check

Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Hello TheYMI,

If my understanding is right, the new computer is very slow when the file explorer open a network directory that has a large number of files.

Do you meet the same issue when you open the folder only have a small number of file?
    How about the speed of file transfer?

Please take the following steps for troubleshooting:
    1. Use the command ping and tracert, and then compare the network path and latency time with the Windows 7
    2. Open the event viewer and check if there are any related error log. For more information about the event log, please refer to the following article. This article is about Windows 7, and the Windows 8.1 is similar.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7
    3. Use network monitor to capture the network activity between the new computer and the NAS.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938655.aspx

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Monday, December 15, 2014 11:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:36 AM