secondary DNS Promote RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 nos 2003 server, 1 domain controller and another one ADC in same domain. DNS installed in domain controller with primary zone configured and ADC configured with secondary zone. Now my domain controller is down so how i can promote that secondary zone to to primary zone. So it should work as primary zone.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:00 PM

Answers

• You can convert a Secondary zone to primary at any time by accessing the properties of the foward lookup zone and changing the type from "Secondary" to "Primary".   That is it.

I would also ask, why havent you considered converting this to an AD Integrated zone so you dont have to worry about the primary/secondary concerns and also take advantage of AD replication and security?

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    • Marked as answer by Miles Li Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:04 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

JM is right that you can change the zone type in the zone property from Secondary to Primary. As you have the secondary DNS zone on the additional DC, you can make it AD integrated so that you will never worry about DNS replication because it takes advantage of AD multi-master replication.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:40 AM

All replies

• You can convert a Secondary zone to primary at any time by accessing the properties of the foward lookup zone and changing the type from "Secondary" to "Primary".   That is it.

I would also ask, why havent you considered converting this to an AD Integrated zone so you dont have to worry about the primary/secondary concerns and also take advantage of AD replication and security?

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

JM is right that you can change the zone type in the zone property from Secondary to Primary. As you have the secondary DNS zone on the additional DC, you can make it AD integrated so that you will never worry about DNS replication because it takes advantage of AD multi-master replication.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:40 AM