Computers not appearing in WSUS downstream replica server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

I need your advice on the setup of the replica servers. I currently installed a WSUS replica downstream server on one of our locations for the clients/servers in the same place to get the updates locally.

Now we are on Server 2012, on this box has WDS service working and I have decided to setup a WSUS replica here. So added WSUS role & SSL is enabled, so ports 8531 & 8530 are allowing traffic on the replica server. Now synching works fine with the upstream server as far as updates & computer GROUPS were synch fine. Now the issue, is the computers are not showing up in the computer groups for the replica server in contrast with the upstream which has the computers. What could  be the reason?

I have configured already the GPO for the clients intended to get updates for the replica, client side targeting & "Specify a MS intranet location..." is configured with the REPLICA servername:port. Am I missing anything? Please help..

Thank you, Mon

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:56 PM

Answers

• So added WSUS role & SSL is enabled

I would strongly suggest that first you get it working *without* SSL, and then (if for some reason you must), enable the SSL. If it worked, and then doesn't, you know it's an *SSL* problem. Right now there are just too many variables to effectively troubleshoot, so we need to eliminate the unnecessary ones. Read: SSL (Hint: The #1 -- by far -- reason for WSUS servers with SSL enabled failing is because... well... SSL was improperly configured.)

Now synching works fine with the upstream server as far as updates & computer GROUPS were synch fine.

Which probably doesn't use SSL, unless you also properly configured SSL on the upstream server.

Now the issue, is the computers are not showing up in the computer groups for the replica server in contrast with the upstream which has the computers. What could be the reason?

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding this statement. Almost surely the case is that the upstream server has computer records because they're STALE (from before you installed the replica server). DELETE them.

The downstream (replica) server doesn't have computer records... most likely because you improperly implemented the SSL.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Friday, October 3, 2014 10:20 AM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 3:16 AM
  • Hi Mon Laq,

Please check your upstream and downstream server have any event occur, the client which not reporting must have error log.

Check if name resolution is working for parent server from this replica server, GPO were not applied correctly, please to confirm the sync between the upstream and downstream server is working properly,

The following similar thread solution you can refer first.

Clients not installing updates from Downstream WSUS Server

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3399a578-ddb0-4a66-9594-f3caa490e48d/clients-not-installing-updates-from-downstream-wsus-server

I’m glad to be of help to you!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, September 5, 2014 5:24 AM

All replies

• So added WSUS role & SSL is enabled

I would strongly suggest that first you get it working *without* SSL, and then (if for some reason you must), enable the SSL. If it worked, and then doesn't, you know it's an *SSL* problem. Right now there are just too many variables to effectively troubleshoot, so we need to eliminate the unnecessary ones. Read: SSL (Hint: The #1 -- by far -- reason for WSUS servers with SSL enabled failing is because... well... SSL was improperly configured.)

Now synching works fine with the upstream server as far as updates & computer GROUPS were synch fine.

Which probably doesn't use SSL, unless you also properly configured SSL on the upstream server.

Now the issue, is the computers are not showing up in the computer groups for the replica server in contrast with the upstream which has the computers. What could be the reason?

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding this statement. Almost surely the case is that the upstream server has computer records because they're STALE (from before you installed the replica server). DELETE them.

The downstream (replica) server doesn't have computer records... most likely because you improperly implemented the SSL.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, September 5, 2014 3:16 AM
  • Hi Mon Laq,

Please check your upstream and downstream server have any event occur, the client which not reporting must have error log.

Check if name resolution is working for parent server from this replica server, GPO were not applied correctly, please to confirm the sync between the upstream and downstream server is working properly,

The following similar thread solution you can refer first.

Clients not installing updates from Downstream WSUS Server

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3399a578-ddb0-4a66-9594-f3caa490e48d/clients-not-installing-updates-from-downstream-wsus-server

I’m glad to be of help to you!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, September 5, 2014 5:24 AM