SCVMM as a virtual machine when HV hosts are on a separate management network? RRS feed

• Question

• My Hyper-V hosts are on an isolated physical management network with pNICs dedicated to management, RDP, etc. For LAN/VM communication, it has an external virtual network w/the "Allow Management OS to share the network adapter" unchecked. I do have a physical DC connection on the management network as well. All hosts are AD joined.

The hosts do not really have a LAN side IP, only management network IP. If I install SCVMM as a VM <with a vNIC connected to the LAN side virtual network only>, will it be able to communicate with the hosts? Or will the SCVMM machine need a connection to the management network in order for the communication to work?

If the latter, then it looks like I would have to setup SCVMM as a separate physical box with a pNIC going to the management network? Since I don't have any virtual networks tied to the management pNIC. Or are there other ways to accomplish this?
    Monday, August 23, 2010 1:07 AM

Answers

• You are looking for a way for VMM to contact the host. The storage network instead of management network would work in case the VMM server cannot see the host through the management network

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:51 AM

All replies

• If I understand correctly, the virtual nw properties on the host are set to external with the "Allow mgmt OS to share nw adapter" setting unchecked.

What is the status on the virtual LAN identification for mgmt OS? Is it checked? 

And the host does not have a LAN side IP, but management nw IP.

vNIC's corresponding to the VM are connected to the LAN- virtual nw setting with Enable virtual VLAN identification checked?

VM's should be able to connect to the host in this configuration.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:12 PM
  • If I understand correctly, the virtual nw properties on the host are set to external with the "Allow mgmt OS to share nw adapter" setting unchecked.

What is the status on the virtual LAN identification for mgmt OS? Is it checked? 

And the host does not have a LAN side IP, but management nw IP.

vNIC's corresponding to the VM are connected to the LAN- virtual nw setting with Enable virtual VLAN identification checked?

VM's should be able to connect to the host in this configuration.

Just some clarifications:

The "Allow Mgmt OS..." option is not checked for the external virtual network for the LAN traffic <VM traffic>. So there is no IP configured on that pNIC.

There are no VLAN's configured on any of the pNICs in this environment. They are all separate physical network segments. One for the LAN, one for storage, and one for the Management.

The host does not have a LAN side IP because it did not require one. The virtual network for LAN is setup not to be shared with the host OS, so no IP was needed. It has a physical connection into the LAN switch and traffic goes through that to the VMs. It has a management side IP because one of the pNICs on the host is not setup as a virtual network. Hence the management IP config is setup on the host's sconfig settings.

Again no VLAN config is setup currently.

I just thought of something though. The hosts do have a storage network pNIC that is shared amongst the host OS and the VMs. If SCVMM can't see the hosts through the LAN side, maybe I can have SCVMM see the hosts through the storage network instead. Not ideal but better than building a physical box for SCVMM. 

Thoughts?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:54 PM
  • You are looking for a way for VMM to contact the host. The storage network instead of management network would work in case the VMM server cannot see the host through the management network

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:51 AM