none
AD LDS Scalability - How many searches per second?

Question

• Hi

I am looking to deploy AD LDS instances into a Corporate environment. I'm wondering how scalable AD LDS is? How many queries/searches can it handle per second (across 4-8 instances multi master replication)? We have several thousands queries per second and I need to know it will be able to handle this?

I believe AD LDS uses vertical scalability rather than horizontal is this correct?

Thanks for help
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi

AFAIK,The limits for AD LDS are the same for AD DS ,and you can check limits on this article (Maximum Number of Accounts per LDAP Transaction section)

Active Directory Maximum Limits - Scalability

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/active-directory-maximum-limits-scalability(v=ws.10).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:54 PM
  • Also the rate of query handling may be affected by the loading / horsepower of the hardware.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:27 PM
  • Thanks for the article. It says "When you write scripts or applications that perform LDAP transactions, the recommended limit is to perform no more than 5,000 operations per LDAP transaction."

Assuming this is 5,000 transactions per second?

Do you think it means max 5,000 per application? If I have two applications querying at once would 10,000 maximum LDAP transactions be ok? Or is the 5,000 for all applications?

Thanks for your input

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 9:26 PM
  • Thanks for your input, do you know any AD LDS hardware recommendations? Trying to avoid the instance falling over if it gets hammered by 15,000 queries per second
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 9:27 PM
  • I'd suggest asking here and also consult the hardware vendor.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-us/home?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 9:39 PM