Need to change logon banner text in vista RRS feed

• Question

• I work for the DoD and I'm trying to figure out is there a way to change the logon banner text. MS default text color is white, but with background image you can't clearly read the logon warning message. I kind wished the logon banner was like Windows XP where the banner had a white background; instead of this vista aero. If I can change the text from white to black, then our problem will be resolved.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I suspect that you want to change the text color on the Windows Vista logon screen, please let me know if this is the case. If I have misunderstand you concern, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

In previous Operating System, the logon screen can be customized by coding your own Graphical Identification and Authentication (GINA). However, in Windows Vista, GINA was replaced. Instead, you need to code your own credential provider model (LogonUI component and the CredUI component.):

Custom GINA modules do not work after you upgrade your computer to Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;925520

Also, this question appears to be consulting in nature. We are happy to provide the above general suggestion here to help you get started. For deeper or more precise information relevant to this particular environment, it is recommended that you contact our advisory service by using the contact info published at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Well there are a couple differnet things that would work if I can figure out how to do it.

The biggest problem is our logon wallpaper that I put on windows visat causes problems reading the logon banner. In Windows XP, the logon banner used to have the white background and I know that vista now uses aero. I think MS should have left the logon banner with a white background, so no matter what everyone can read the logon banner. This is very important to read espically on the DoD networks. I found a couple articles on how to modify the authui.dll and change the logon text color from white to black. It's nice being able to modify that .dll, but you can image trying to change this on over 10,000 workstations. I don't want to modify the .dll because then it causes problems or not properly implemented.

Right now, I have modified the logon wallpaper to where the text is in the middle with to icon or text in the image. Is there any way that MS can put a GP setting that would anyone to change the logon banner from aero (see throught) to the basic XP logon banner display.

Hopefully, they change the logon banner display in windows 7.

Saturday, May 2, 2009 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I suspect that you want to change the text color on the Windows Vista logon screen, please let me know if this is the case. If I have misunderstand you concern, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

In previous Operating System, the logon screen can be customized by coding your own Graphical Identification and Authentication (GINA). However, in Windows Vista, GINA was replaced. Instead, you need to code your own credential provider model (LogonUI component and the CredUI component.):

Custom GINA modules do not work after you upgrade your computer to Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;925520

Also, this question appears to be consulting in nature. We are happy to provide the above general suggestion here to help you get started. For deeper or more precise information relevant to this particular environment, it is recommended that you contact our advisory service by using the contact info published at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Hi,

May I know how everything is going? If you have any questions or concerns on the recent information I've provided you, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Additionally, I would like to share the following information at this time:

New Authentication Functionality in Windows Vista

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsvistasecurity/archive/2006/08/25/724271.aspx

ICredentialProvider Interface

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776042.aspx

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Well there are a couple differnet things that would work if I can figure out how to do it.

The biggest problem is our logon wallpaper that I put on windows visat causes problems reading the logon banner. In Windows XP, the logon banner used to have the white background and I know that vista now uses aero. I think MS should have left the logon banner with a white background, so no matter what everyone can read the logon banner. This is very important to read espically on the DoD networks. I found a couple articles on how to modify the authui.dll and change the logon text color from white to black. It's nice being able to modify that .dll, but you can image trying to change this on over 10,000 workstations. I don't want to modify the .dll because then it causes problems or not properly implemented.

Right now, I have modified the logon wallpaper to where the text is in the middle with to icon or text in the image. Is there any way that MS can put a GP setting that would anyone to change the logon banner from aero (see throught) to the basic XP logon banner display.

Hopefully, they change the logon banner display in windows 7.

Saturday, May 2, 2009 12:00 PM
  • Well you can change the LOGON screen easily if you cannot change the TEXT Color with coding!
    You can use softwares like TuneUp Utilities 2009 =)

Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for updating.

Based on my research, I am sorry to say that currently there should be no such Group Policy setting to customize the logon banner. So, I think the good workarounds should still be to modify the logon wallpaper or to try some third-party software (please perform tests first).

Meanwhile, for suggestions on our future products such as Windows 7, you are welcome to post your feedbacks to this thread Have Comments about Windows 7 Beta? (Part 2). Your feedbacks are always appreciated.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 4, 2009 12:28 PM