Windows XP automatic metrics RRS feed

• Question

• According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540 a Windows XP SP2+ PC with a NIC running at less than 80Mbps should be configured with an automatic metric of 25. I have a laptop on my desk that has a 65Mbps connection to our WLAN and a 100Mbps connection to our LAN and they both have a metric of 20.

Is there any way of correcting this?

Thanks, Damion.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:56 PM

All replies

• You can set the metric manually..

·         Login as Local “administrator”

·         Start > Run:

·         Type “cmd”

·         Do a “route print” command to check IP of the network card you want to change (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

·         Run the command below.

route add -p 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx metric 40  - or whatever metric you want to use accordingly to connection desired.

Note: The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will be different for each computer.  To check, run route print command.

·         Run route print again to confirm the new metric change.

Hope this helps..

Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Thanks, Wizard. I'm researching setting the Wireless metric via a script as we have users who dock their laptops, but the WiFi connection is still being used because the WiFi and LAN connections have the same metric. I was hoping that there might be an easy fix that would make Windows behave as specified in the KnowledgeBase article above.

I would prefer to use automatic metrics where possible, as that would be more able to cope with changing connection speeds. However our network admins don't want data sent via WiFi when a LAN connection is available.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Damion.

Friday, August 26, 2011 8:52 AM