none
SCDMP2012(D2D) with Symantec Netbackup(D2T) RRS feed

• Question

• hi team, I am facing such a challenge ,please help. we are using DPM 2012 for D2D backup for some hyperV VMs. and symantec netbackup will be doing tape backup for the backup done by DPM. DPM and netbackup may need to sit on the server VM. Will this work and supported? any links and document I can refer to ? I understand DPM usually require a dedicted server to run the backup job. thanks.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:02 AM

Answers

• Thanks mike! May I know is there any link that if netbackup supports DPM VSS and any documents on how they work together? Thanks
    • Marked as answer by kongfupanda Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Nope - you will need to ask the netbackup folks on what versions are recommended to backup DPM relicas.  There are three links on that page I gave you, you can always use the non-vss aware method.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by kongfupanda Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:18 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you don't want to use DPM Disk to Disk to Tape (D2D2T) solution and instead want to utilize a 3rd party backup product for long term offsite tape backups - Using 3rd party to backup a DPM server is described here:   http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809019.aspx

However, restores of protected data will need to be performed to an alternate location (Not back to the DPM server) by the 3rd party application.

What I mean by this is the 3rd party backup application will be protecting the DPM replica volumes (either directly, or via a snapshot using dpmbackup –replicas) – and if a restore is required of a data that is older than what DPM has on disk, then the restore from tape will need to restore the files to an alternate location – anywhere but the DPM replica, as that will compromise current DPM disk based backups.   Restores from tape should be RARE if they have adequate retention range on DPM disk. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Thanks mike! May I know is there any link that if netbackup supports DPM VSS and any documents on how they work together? Thanks
    • Marked as answer by kongfupanda Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Nope - you will need to ask the netbackup folks on what versions are recommended to backup DPM relicas.  There are three links on that page I gave you, you can always use the non-vss aware method.

• Marked as answer by kongfupanda Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:18 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:03 PM