Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - Installing Domain Controller RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for installation on my iMAC under Parallels, the installation when fine, but I am having some issues configuring the server and cannot get the Domain to Promote due to a password issue the wizard has identified with the local Admin account not requiring a password.  The error message recommends I use the net user command-line tool with the /passwordreq:yes option to require a password for this account before I create the new domain.  Does anyone know how to perform this action?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you run DCPROMO to promote a server to become the first Domain Controller for a new domain in a new forest, you end up with a domain which has the Default Domain Policy enabled.

The password for your local account needs to meet the minimum password complexity:

•The password is at least 8 characters long.

•The password contains characters from three of the following four categories:

26 lowercase characters

26 uppercase characters

32 special characters

10 numbers

•The password does not contain three or more characters from the user’s account name.

In addition, please look at the following similar thread:

dcpromo.exe Administrator Password required error

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/thread/d63052d2-8baa-447c-8012-9506f0e3124a

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Yan Li

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, December 16, 2011 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, December 19, 2011 2:02 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hello,

On the server, go to the server manager, expand the configuration, expand Local Users and Groups, select users, right click on Administraor and choose set password to create a password

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Hello Isaac:

Thanks for the direction, but I forgot to mention that I have a password on the local Administrator account, so that is why I am confused as to the above error I get when attempting to run the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard.  Are their any specific rules for the password I need to follow to eliminate this error?

Ramrick Glasper
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:32 AM
  • Hi,

When you run DCPROMO to promote a server to become the first Domain Controller for a new domain in a new forest, you end up with a domain which has the Default Domain Policy enabled.

The password for your local account needs to meet the minimum password complexity:

•The password is at least 8 characters long.

•The password contains characters from three of the following four categories:

26 lowercase characters

26 uppercase characters

32 special characters

10 numbers

•The password does not contain three or more characters from the user’s account name.

In addition, please look at the following similar thread:

dcpromo.exe Administrator Password required error

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/thread/d63052d2-8baa-447c-8012-9506f0e3124a

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Yan Li

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, December 16, 2011 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, December 19, 2011 2:02 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:06 AM