DL error 5.7.54 SMTP; Unable to relay recipient in non-accepted domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts

I am using exchange hybrid environment, We create users on Exchange Onprem and then migrate to Office365.
    I have a group in AD for example: group1. This group doesnot have any email address associate with it on
    Exchange Onprem but i can see this as Distribution List in Office365. 
    In office365 i can see this group as group1@xyz.onmicrosoft.com
    My onprem domain is abc.com and routing address will user1@xyz.mail.onmicrosoft.com for the users.
    Now for this DL group1 onprem users are not able to send emails. only exchange online users are able to send it.
    Below is the error, please guide me to troubleshooot.

This is a delivery failure notification message indicating that an email you addressed to email address :
    -- group1@abc.onmicrosoft.com could not be delivered. The problem appears to be :
    -- Recipient email address is possibly incorrect
    Additional information follows :
    -- 5.7.54 SMTP; Unable to relay recipient in non-accepted domain
    Friday, March 1, 2019 1:02 AM

Answers

• Where did you create the group? In the cloud or in on-premises and then use AAD Connect to sync to O365?

This group is created on cloud, AD sync has been performed

Where did you see the DL? In O365 EAC? Could you see it in on-premise EAC?

I could see it in O365 EAC, i cannot see in on-premise EAC
    ========================================
    I am not sure when is this DL created.
    my onprem domain is abc.com and domain in O365 is xyz.mail.onmicrosoft.com
    When i click email address for an office365 user in Exchange Onprem,
    i could see below email addresses

SMTP: user1@abc.com
    smtp: user1@xyz.mail.onmicrosoft.com
    Set as remote routing address: smtp: xyz.mail.onmicrosoft.com

For onprem user it is
    SMTP: user2@abc.com
    smtp: user2@xyz.mail.onmicrosoft.com

But there is no routing address option for onprem user

You also cannot see this DL in Office 365 GAL, is it right? 

Please check the target address of the DL in on-premises AD, if it is synced with on-premises AD, it should have a value like the following: "<name>@abc.mail.onmicrosoft.com".

Find AD Objects with an Incorrect TargetAddress

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by ItsMe-Roger Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:36 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:31 AM
  • is the below syntax correct

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-aduser -filter {targetAddress -notlike “*.mail.onmicrosoft.com”} -properties * | Select-Object Name,targetAddress
    Get-aduser : Error parsing query: 'targetAddress -notlike “*.mail.onmicrosoft.com”' Error Message: 'syntax error' atposition: '24'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-aduser -filter {targetAddress -notlike “*.mail.onmicrosoft.com”} -properties ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [Get-ADUser], ADFilterParsingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADFilterParsingException,Micr
       osoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADUser

Check the attribute in on-premises ADUC, I am afraid you didn't set it up. Manually fill the value if it is not set. Remember to uncheck the option Show only attributes that have values.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 15, 2019 9:29 AM

All replies

• Where did you create the group? In the cloud or in on-premises and then use AAD Connect to sync to O365?
    Did you verify your on-premise domain before the migration? I ask this because the error message indicates that O365 didn't recognize your on-premise domain. 

From what you described, I noticed that you configured the UPN and primary SMTP address with different domain names, am I right? I strongly recommend you to match one to the other, then re-sync to Azure AD to see if issue persists.

For your reference: Add a domain to Office 365.
    Also check the hybrid migration steps, refer to the steps in the Exchange Deployment Assistant.

Regards,

Manu Meng

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:43 AM
    Monday, March 4, 2019 6:10 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 11, 2019 2:00 AM

For onprem user it is

Monday, March 11, 2019 3:12 PM

For onprem user it is

You also cannot see this DL in Office 365 GAL, is it right? 

Please check the target address of the DL in on-premises AD, if it is synced with on-premises AD, it should have a value like the following: "<name>@abc.mail.onmicrosoft.com".

Find AD Objects with an Incorrect TargetAddress

Regards,

Manu Meng

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:31 AM

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-aduser -filter {targetAddress -notlike “*.mail.onmicrosoft.com”} -properties * | Select-Object Name,targetAddress
    Get-aduser : Error parsing query: 'targetAddress -notlike “*.mail.onmicrosoft.com”' Error Message: 'syntax error' atposition: '24'.
    + Get-aduser -filter {targetAddress -notlike “*.mail.onmicrosoft.com”} -properties ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [Get-ADUser], ADFilterParsingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADFilterParsingException,Micr

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:11 PM

Check the attribute in on-premises ADUC, I am afraid you didn't set it up. Manually fill the value if it is not set. Remember to uncheck the option Show only attributes that have values.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Friday, March 15, 2019 9:29 AM
  • It has been a long time since you made the last reply on this thread. If you don't mind, we'd suggest you mark the replies above as answers, so it will be easy for other community members to find the useful one/ones.

Thanks for your understandings!

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 9:40 AM