SCCM Client and SCEP Client Uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have below questions with regard to the SCCM client software and the SCEP client software.

Does SCCM client uninstallation removes SCEP client as well? If not, how does the Endpoint Protection get the updates after SCCM client is removed? How to remove/uninstall SCEP client?

If the SCCM client uninstallation removes the SCEP client as well (by running ccmsetup.exe /uninstall), how to make it to NOT uninstall the SCEP client?

Thanks.

NM

Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:21 AM

Answers

• Yes, your SCEP client should still be able to update.

If you're installing the ConfigMgr client again, and have manage SCEP client enabled in the ConfigMgr client settings, it does more then just adding the update source. It allows you to manage the SCEP client configuration (like scan settings, exclusions, etc), perform remote actions (like initiating a scan) and report about them.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Marked as answer by Vemach Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:28 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:41 PM

All replies

• hello. if I am not mistaken, remove SCCM client not remove SCEP client and if the SCCM client will uninstall the SCEP do not get updates via SCCM.

You can use a script to remove SCEP client, or do it manually for each computer, or you can create a SCEP client package and deploy it to a computer collection with UNINSTALL command.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:29 AM
  • Indeed, the removal of the ConfigMgr client will not remove the SCEP client. This will cause the SCEP client to become "unmanaged" from a ConfigMgr perspective.

Also, it won't remove any SCEP settings, so I assume that the SCEP client will continue to work with its latest policy settings. This would also mean that it will use the update settings of the latest policy.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

To uninstall SCEP run "%SYSTEMROOT%\CCMSETUP\scepinstall.exe /u /s".

And as Peter wrote the policies will still be on the computer so the update settings you have in your endpoint policy is still valid. If that is Configuration Manager first you should change it as you uninstall the SCCM Client so no updates will be applied from sccm when you uninstall it..

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Thanks everyone.

So, if I uninstall the client, will it continue to get the updates from other sources like WSUS and MS Update?(I have them configured under the EP settings). And one last question is, if I re-install the client, I believe it sees that the EP is already installed and also has latest update(from other sources) and so it just makes ConfigMgr as one more source for the updates. That's all it does, am I right?

NM

Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Yes, your SCEP client should still be able to update.

If you're installing the ConfigMgr client again, and have manage SCEP client enabled in the ConfigMgr client settings, it does more then just adding the update source. It allows you to manage the SCEP client configuration (like scan settings, exclusions, etc), perform remote actions (like initiating a scan) and report about them.

• Marked as answer by Vemach Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:28 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Thank you everyone.

NM

Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:30 PM