[Bug] Folder name starting with a dot RRS feed

• Question

• you can't set a folder name that starts with a dot by Windows explorer 

if you want to name a folder ".something" you have to use the command prompt and mkdir

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:27 PM

Answers

• it is a bug because nowhere you can find a official document which say dot cannot be used for starting a folder names.

Either microsoft in its clickonce application use a folder named ".pre" either mkdir shell command let you create such folder names.

Either .net framework let you create directory with dot starting names: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.path.getinvalidpathchars.aspx

Explorer should not confuse files and folder because when you create a new folder you use the explorer command "New folder"

• Marked as answer by giammin Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:51 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For the reason, you could refer to the following article:

Why doesn't Explorer let you create a file whose name begins with a dot?

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:15 AM
  • i'm talking about folder names not files name
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

From perspective of shell, they are similar, shell doesn’t like names that begin with a dot, they look like a file with an extension and no name.

You could add a Space character within the following characters of folder name, and then you could set a name beginning with a dot, such as “.folde r”. Spaces are not allowed in extensions, so “.folde r” is not an extension, only a folder or file name.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:38 AM
  • my intent is to report to Microsoft this windows explorer bug

i know there are many workaround but if it is allowed to name a folder with a starting dot and windows explorer deny it: it is a bug.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:57 AM
  • Sir , it's not a Bug When an item starts with a "." it usually is followed by a File Type Now, if
    you want to create a folder calles "config" you can, then you have a config
    folder. But you can not name anything ".config" because it would make it a
    config file, not just a folder named config. .config, if I remember right is
    a configuration setting.
    Windows thinkd you are playing with the structure of windows, and doesn't
    like it. :)

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by Las D. Rashid Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:02 PM
  • it is a bug because nowhere you can find a official document which say dot cannot be used for starting a folder names.

Either microsoft in its clickonce application use a folder named ".pre" either mkdir shell command let you create such folder names.

Either .net framework let you create directory with dot starting names: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.path.getinvalidpathchars.aspx

Explorer should not confuse files and folder because when you create a new folder you use the explorer command "New folder"

• Marked as answer by giammin Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:51 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:00 AM
  • I agree, I hate when I can't rename stuff with a .dot, I have to do in on OSX or fire up the command prompt.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 10:14 PM
  • Same BUG with folder names containing dot or comma (the folder name is cropped after the last dot)

for example : "myfolder.a.b" displays "myfolder.a"

it's very annoying when your are similar names like "Myfolder" and "Myfolder.old", you can't know who are who.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:07 PM
  • All the reasons mentioned why windows explorer cannot do what most other tools CAN, are only excuses for cleaning up some desperate ideas of making a tool like windows explorer user friendly for no-tech persons.

But for that user group the default explorer settings for what it displays and what it hides are already sufficient.

At least if I change the view settings to "show hidden files" explorer should not only be able to DISPLAY those .xyz files, but it should also no longer refuse to create such files or directories.

KLAUS J ISBRUCH

Monday, July 31, 2017 12:03 PM