none
UAG and RDP for Apple MAC RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking at publishing RDP so that MAC users can connect. I have downloaded the RDC and installed on a MAC client. I can run the application directly and connect to MS servers etc.
    When I go to publesh RDP I want to be able to enter the path of the application which is "Application/Remote Desktop Connection.app". Would anybody know what format this would need to be entered in for it to launch on the MAC when the portal link is selected. Currenlty the way I have tried it the terminal window just gets displayed.

Any body got any ideas ?
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:57 AM

Answers

• I'm assuming that you are using Safari for the browser. I think that that the Java applet hasn't been downloaded and you haven't seen any prompts for you to say "Yes" download the applet.

What I found was that pop up where being blocked and I had to do the following:

a.     Launch Safari

b.     From the Safari toolbar select Safari

c.     Select Preferences

d.     Select Security

e.     Deselect Block pop-up windows

f.      Close and re-launch Safari

g.     Try IAG/UAG connection again.

Hopefully you will see the pop-up to install the applet and the SSL tunnel will connect.

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:25 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Thanks Darren, that nugget of information was invaluable!

For others trying to recreate this "Apple-MAC to UAG to Terminal Server" facility, the steps I used were:

1/ On UAG create a "Generic Client Application". Application name "Desktop for MAC", access policy: Always, Server: dns-name of TS server or farm, port: 3389

2/ On the MAC endpoint, upgrade Remote Desktop Connection. Google for RDC201_ALL.DMG and apply this package to the MAC

3/ On the MAC, uncheck the Safari "Block pop-up windows" option

4/ on the MAC, browse to the UAG portal, logon, run the "Desktop for MAC" icon.

5/ on the MAC, run Remote Desktop Connection and connect to the TS Server dns-name

Friday, May 7, 2010 1:40 PM

All replies

• Darren,

Did you ever get the MAC / RDP template working? - if so, I'm guessing you had to create a custom template for this? - would you share?

Thanks, Peter

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:29 AM
  • I did get this working in a fashion.

I used the Generic Client App template in UAG.

I then installed the RDC for MAC's

However the issue (Not a real issue) is that the user would have to select the published Icon to setup the SSL tunnel then manually launch the application.

I would like this to happen automatically byt haven't got around to testing that yet.

I haven't tried using VNS either.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:45 AM
  • Darren, when you configure the Generic Client  Application, this is just to establish an SSL tunnel yes? - in which case, what am I supposed to put in the Server Settings tab, (Server and Port) - I tried putting the Terminal Server name and 3389, but when I launch this on the MAC, I just get a blank screen , nothing seems to happen.

thanks

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:36 PM
  • I'm assuming that you are using Safari for the browser. I think that that the Java applet hasn't been downloaded and you haven't seen any prompts for you to say "Yes" download the applet.

What I found was that pop up where being blocked and I had to do the following:

a.     Launch Safari

b.     From the Safari toolbar select Safari

c.     Select Preferences

d.     Select Security

e.     Deselect Block pop-up windows

f.      Close and re-launch Safari

g.     Try IAG/UAG connection again.

Hopefully you will see the pop-up to install the applet and the SSL tunnel will connect.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Thanks Darren, that nugget of information was invaluable!

For others trying to recreate this "Apple-MAC to UAG to Terminal Server" facility, the steps I used were:

1/ On UAG create a "Generic Client Application". Application name "Desktop for MAC", access policy: Always, Server: dns-name of TS server or farm, port: 3389

2/ On the MAC endpoint, upgrade Remote Desktop Connection. Google for RDC201_ALL.DMG and apply this package to the MAC

3/ On the MAC, uncheck the Safari "Block pop-up windows" option

4/ on the MAC, browse to the UAG portal, logon, run the "Desktop for MAC" icon.

5/ on the MAC, run Remote Desktop Connection and connect to the TS Server dns-name

Friday, May 7, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Unfortunately this doesn't work for RDS farms as there is no way to use the generic client (multiple server) on OS X. I can initiate the authentication, at which point it tries to contact the broker and fails. I could try adding one for each server which seems a spectacularly clunky workaround (having to start them all then connect).

What solutions are there for OS X? as it's total support for endpoint components is "session cleanup". Firefox also dies horribly on 7 x64 with generic client (single server).

UAG really should have the requirements of XP x86, Vista x86, IE only, as thats about all that works!

All this would be easier if there was an RDP client for OS X with gateway support.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:55 AM
  • Did you have a good solution for RDS farms?
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:37 PM