==============
    The fixes are in the following KBs:

Windows 7 - KB4022168
    Windows 8.1 - KB4022720
    Windows 10 Version 1703 - KB4022716
    Windows 10 Version 1607 - KB4022723
    Windows 10 Version 1511 - KB4032673
    Windows 10 - KB4032695

Note: The fix for this issue has been released on June 27, 2017. If you implemented the workaround, you can now set the PreventIndexingOutlook registry key to DWORD:0 to go back to using Windows Search.

Issue Symptom:
    ===============

After applying the security update released in June 2017, you may receive the following message when searching in Outlook:

Something went wrong and your search couldn’t be completed.”
    or
    "Search results may be incomplete because items are still being indexed".

You’ll see this Event Log Warning:

Workaround:
    ==============
    The fix is expected to be included in Windows Update releasing on 6/27. Before that, you can set a registry key to stop Outlook from using the local Windows Search service. Then, Outlook will use its own built-in search engine. You will see the following message stating the Windows Search service disabled:

Disable Windows Desktop Search Service for Outlook:

Path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
    DWORD: PreventIndexingOutlook
    Value: 1

NOTE
    : Please backup the registry key before modifying it.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

1. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click New Key and name the key Windows Search.
    2. Click on the new key Windows Search.
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type PreventIndexingOutlook for the name of the DWORD, and then press Enter.
    5. Right-click PreventIndexingOutlook, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1 to enable the registry entry, and then click OK.
    7. Note to disable the PreventIndexingOutlook setting, type 0 (zero), and then click OK.
    8. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart Outlook.

Refer to(the article below will keep update):
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-known-issues-in-the-June-2017-security-updates-3f6dbffd-8505-492d-b19f-b3b89369ed9b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

If your issue persists after applying above workaround, for further investigation, we would request your help to collect the following information:

1. Error message you received
    2. Outlook version
    3. Operation System version
    4. Updates you installed before the issue happened.
    5. What you have tried for resolving the issue.

Friday, June 23, 2017 9:48 AM

All replies

• Running Outlook 2010 v14.0.7182.5000 (32-bit) on Windows 10 v1703

KB4022716 did not resolve the issue as indicated by the above post. 

I tried removing Windows Updates, rebuilding the index, creating a new pst, reinstalling GSSMO, removing Outlook from the indexing locations/adding it back in, installing Windows Update KB4022716.

This resolved the issue (with Windows Updates current):

1. Open Outlook.
    2. Go to File > Options > Search > Indexing Options > Modify > UNCHECK Microsoft Outlook > OK > Close > OK.
    3. Close Outlook.
    4. Open Outlook*.

*Note: you will need to re-select locations.

This resolved the issue INSTANTLY on all our machines (5) without removing security updates. Emails don't show up in Windows Search results, but they never did and we are okay with that!

Friday, July 7, 2017 4:20 PM
  • REMOVE THE 6/18/17 SECURITY UPDATE FOR WIN 10 AND OUTLOOK SEARCHING WILL WORK AGAIN.

My outlook search went crazy, with a variety of messages after I installed a bunch of windows updates on 6/18/17., but generally saying it's not working. I tried to rebuild the file, but it looked like it did nothing.  It said it was going to rebuilt the outlook search file and then suddenly it was done.  Obviously didn't delete or rebuild anything. 

I removed my 6/18/17 security update for windows 10.  Sorry I don't know the number because I removed it with control panel.  There were 6 other updates that date: (1) cumulative update for windows 10 version 1602 for x64 KB4022715, (2) update for win 10 1602 x64 KB4023834, (3) Microsoft net framework 4.7 for version 1607, (4) KB3186568, Windows malicious software removal tool for win 10 kb890830, (5) security update for adobe flash player for win 10 x64 KB4022730 and (6) update for win 10 version 1607 for x64 KB3150513.  I didn't yet need to remove these.  Think they are OK. So, of 7 updates that day, I only removed the security update, leaving me with these six. 

When I did that, I was able to rebuild the search file.  It is churning away right now.  BUT, it also seemed to work with no error messages when I tried to search before rebuilding.  My conclusion is it was the security update. The discussion also suggests a problem with this security update, but I found removing it easier.  Think it may say the same thing above, but as I've seen no update to fix the problem, I found just removing it for now was easiest for me.

I tried the so-called 6/27 fix and it says its incompatible with my equipment.  I have no idea why.  So, my only choice was to remove it or play around with registry or other things I didn't want to do. There was no automatic download of it for me and my manual download gave the me the error it was not compatible.

This may work for you.  We all need to try and help each other.  Hope it does.

Sunday, July 9, 2017 9:03 AM
  • If installing the June 17 security update doesn't work for you, please try to uninstall above KB and reinstall it, then re-build the index. Check it again.

If the issue persists after all above steps, please share with us:
    1. Did your issue begin to happen after installing the June security updates? Or does your scenario match the one as described in the article?
    2. Outlook version and build, Operation System version and build;
    3. What you have tried for resolving the issue.

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as answers</b> if they help. It will help other forum members to find the useful replies more easily, and inspire people to help each other.

Monday, July 10, 2017 10:33 AM
  • Hi, 

Can someone from Microsoft respond officially to this issue! All over the internet I see people pulling their hair out as indexing DOES NOT work. No matter what fixes and updates we tried it simply DOES NOT WORK. There has been an update on 27th which was suppose to fix this! Well it didn't! 

On all machines it still doesn't work. Yesterday I was able to find KB4022716 but today it's gone! When I follow link to manual update it's just not there anymore! 

Can someone from Microsoft finally will be able to answer this and give us either a final solution or admit it is still an issue and just pull the dodgy update from Windows Update!

It pretty much affected all of our users, and while it says there are some workaround. They either don't work or the issue keep re-apperaing after few days! It's a blind loop.

and ... it's affecting most versions of Office (2010 and 2013 for sure), on both Windows 10 (1703 and 1607) and also Windows 7! 

Using a registry fix of "PreventIndexingOutlook" is not a solution it simply hide the problem and will cause issues when there will be an official fix available! Sorry for a rant but it's so unprofessional to have a such big issue on Office Software and Microsoft is doing almost nothing to either fix this or give us something we can come back to our customers with!.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:29 PM
  • We are having the same problems with the search function of Outlook on Windows 7 workstations after the June 2016 Windows 7/Office 2010 updates were installed.  The search function returns zero results, even when the search string is clearly visible in the inbox.  I was able to "fix" one Win 7/Outlook 2016 workstation by applying the KB4022168 patch mentioned above.  However, I could only do that for a brief period of time, prior to the July updates rolling in.  Once those had been processed, the KB4022168 patch no longer appears in the optional Windows 7 updates.  I then manually downloaded the patch from the Windows Update Catalog and tried to run it.  All I got was an error message stating "This update is not applicable to your computer."  The machine in question was Windows 7 x64 and was never patched with 22168.  If any of the subsequent MS patches included the Outlook search function fix, I saw no sign of that.  The search function always returns zero results, no matter what search value I enter.

I haven't gotten anywhere at all with the Windows 7/Outlook 2010 machines.  They all are current in terms of Win 7 and Office 2010 automatic updates.  They all completely fail to return any search results.

Like many people, our staff regularly uses and depends on having a search function in Outlook.  Their workstations have worked perfectly in this regard for years now, until the mid-June "updates."  Is there anything at all I can do to restore this functionality?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

John

Friday, July 14, 2017 9:24 PM
  • Many updates installed with outlook causes problems as the system is not compatible with the recent updates. Basic Things that can be done are:

• Restart your system to install full updates
    • Change Outlook settings if the update as so
    • Repair office and its products with OFFcat
    • Some workrounds  also published on website you can check and find solution as given https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-known-issues-in-the-June-2017-security-updates-3f6dbffd-8505-492d-b19f-b3b89369ed9b
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 10:02 AM
  • This fix did not work... After installing this patch and creating a new profile, outlook only displays emails search results from 2016 year . If I disable "use cached Exchange mode" then search function works other than that it does not.

Tried everything.. new profile, index rebuilt, restarted computer multiple times, installed this fix,  and rebuild-ed ost file but the problem still persists. 

Don't really want to log a call with Microsoft for this nonsense, but if it's the only solution then I will.

• Edited by V PIZDU Monday, July 17, 2017 12:24 AM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 12:12 AM
  • Thanks for your informative reply. Question: Does the "Exchange cached mode" option only apply to Exchange Outlook accounts? Several of the Outlook accounts I am working with are POP/IMAP accounts. John

John

Monday, July 17, 2017 12:44 AM
  • It has been a while since I've dealt with POP/IMAP accounts but I think from memory you can disable store local copy on POP/IMAP account but I strongly recommend that you do not do that as if a hard drive fails on that PC you will have less chance of recovering the user emails (unless you have a backup). 

Back to your question, yes it only works for Exchange. Since Outlook is configured to use Microsoft Exchange account.

In the last 2 hours, something has happened and I believe my issue is resolved on my PC. I think the patch has actually worked,  however I did additional steps to resolve my problem. The steps are as follows:

1) Installed the patch

2) Rebooted the computer

3) Deleted my Outlook profile by  going Control Panel > Mail > Account settings > Delete

3.1) If you are using POP/IMAP, I recommend doing the export first, created a new profile and import the emails back to your new profile

4) Created a new profile in Outlook. Waited for outlook to finish updating my mailbox and then I rebuilded my Outlook Index by going File > Options > Search > Indexing Options... > Select Microsoft Outlook > Advance > Rebuild. 

The above steps were applied to Windows 10 x64 bit - build: 14393.1378.

Outlook 2016 - build: 16.0.8201.2102

• Edited by V PIZDU Monday, September 11, 2017 9:22 PM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Thanks again for your update on the Outlook search function problem.  There have been a number of Microsoft patches recommended for this problem.  Could you please tell me exactly which patch you used?

John

Monday, July 17, 2017 1:22 PM
  • I used this patch since I am running Windows 10 Version 1607:

Windows 10 Version 1607 - KB4022723

Monday, July 17, 2017 9:21 PM