none
DPM 2010 / SQL 2008 Problem with access: UpdateUptimeRegKey: Operating system error 5(Access is denied.) encountered. RRS feed

• Question

• Am new to DPM and SQL 2008. Am evaluating feasibility for deployment to about 140 remote sites.

Installed DPM 2010 on Win 2008 R2 in the most naive manner - let it setup SQL and accounts etc.

Managed to get things working ok - only running back ups to disk - no tape libraries.

I am getting System Event: UpdateUptimeRegKey: Operating system error 5(Access is denied.) encountered.

Nothing seems broken in that every DPM function that I have tried seems to complete correctly.

This is a recently built test server with virtually nothing else running on it.

I have looked for clarifications/solutions - e.g. ran sqldiag, reviewed permissions on various folders - no luck so far.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:05 PM

Answers

• After some hunting around, it was discovered that some GPO changes require service accounts to be in the local admins - nuts.  After adding microsoft$dpm$act and dpmr$<hostname> to local admins, the problem went away (as did a few other anomalies).  Thanks for the reply. 

Michel LaBarre
    • Marked as answer by Michel LaBarre Monday, November 15, 2010 2:17 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 2:17 PM

All replies

• The issue looks unrelated to DPM and is a likely a Windows generic issue. Are you seeing any wrong behaviors on the server?
    Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:09 PM
  • After some hunting around, it was discovered that some GPO changes require service accounts to be in the local admins - nuts.  After adding microsoft$dpm$act and dpmr$<hostname> to local admins, the problem went away (as did a few other anomalies).  Thanks for the reply. 

Michel LaBarre
    • Marked as answer by Michel LaBarre Monday, November 15, 2010 2:17 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 2:17 PM