Coexistence & Upgrade Exchange 2010 SP3 Unified Messaging to Exchange 2013 SP1 UM RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello Experts,

We're doing Exchange 2010 SP3 to Exchange 2013 SP1 upgrade.

This upgrade also include Unified Messaging component which is currently working with Exchange 2010 SP3 and Lync 2013.

We have one dial plan and its SIP URI and Secured.

Looking for high level steps to plan coexistence and upgrade of Unified Messaging  from Exchange 2010 SP3 to Exchange 2013 SP1 integrated with Lync 2013. I'll also appreciate tips on what kind of certificate and its Subject name(s).

Microsoft documentation is not very clear and I found it confusing for my scenario. Since I we don't want any downtime for UM users, looking for some help.

Thanks in advance for help.

-DK

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:40 AM

All replies

• Which documentation are you referring to and what part is confusing?

On the 2013 side, create trusted certs for the mailbox servers ( I prefer to create one per server with the subject name of the mailbox server and not use SANs)

Then set the UMServer and UMCallRouting Service UM Startup Mode to Dual and apply the cert to the UMCallRouting and UMService.

Add the 2013 Servers to the Lync Dial Plan.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, October 20, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. As far as MS documentation is concerned, this is what I'm following:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn169226(v=exchg.150).aspx

This is what I did so far:
    1) Moved system mailbox aas per MS documentaion to Exchange 2013 MBX
    2) On CAS+MBX Server Enabled internal CA Cert for UM Services. Internal CA certs contain only CAS+MBX server's FQDN only.Also UM Startup Mode is set to "Dual".
    2) Assigned existing Exchange 2010 Dial plan to New Exchange 2013 Servers. 
    But after this UM users stopped receivng VMs. I had to remove assignment of dial plan and UM users started receving VMs as usual from Existing Exchange 2010 UM servers.

I'm still not clear what went wrong as I was expecting Exchange 2013 will route calls to Exchange 2010 servers as per User's Mailbox.

To Migrate UM services to Exchange 2013 services; 
    do I need to create new Dial plan, AA and UM policies on Exchange 2013? We just want to continue to use existing SIP URI based Dial plan currently enabled on Exchange 2010.

What I need to do on Lync 2013 Servers (If anything?) since its already wotking with Exchange 2010 Servers.

I would appreciate if you could please elaborate high level step by step approach for upgrade and any tips or gotchas!!

Many thanks for the help.

-DK

Monday, October 20, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Anyone?

-DK

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:56 AM
  • Take a look at this.  Pretty good step by step instructions on integrating Lync 2013 with Exchange 2013 UM.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676409(v=exchg.150).aspx

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Hello Hinte,

Thanks for the information. I have been to this article which explains fresh deployment but doesn't address coexistence and migration scenario.

I'm looking for high level steps only. Can anyone validate and suggest if I'm missing something!

1) Install new CAS+MBX Server

2) Move system mailbox as per MS documentation to Exchange 2013 MBX
    3) On CAS+MBX Server Enabled internal CA trusted Cert for UM Services.Internal CA certs contain only CAS+MBX server's FQDN only.UM services Startup Mode is set to "Dual".

4) Assigned existing SIP URI Based Exchange 2010 Dial plan to New Exchange 2013 Servers. 

5) Run Exchucutil.ps1 in Exchange 2013 and OcsUMUtil in Lync 2013 (Again?)

Will this be enough or Do I need to create New Auto attendant or Haunt Group etc?

Thanks for all the help!

Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:58 AM
  • You shouldn't have to do step 5 again, but it wont hurt if you do.

Nor should you have to recreate the AA, its in the Dial Plan already if you have one now.

Be sure to set the UMServer and UMCallRouting Service UM Startup Mode to Dual and apply the cert to *both* the UMCallRouting and UMService.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Sunday, October 26, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Thank you so much Andy. Appreciate your help. I'll try this tomorrow and update on results.

-DK

Sunday, October 26, 2014 8:50 PM
  • And it worked. Thanks Andy for precise steps and inputs. Yes; we don't need to do anything beyond first 4 steps except restarting UM services on Exchange 2013 Servers. 

Appreciate all the help!

-DK

Saturday, November 1, 2014 10:48 PM