Server 2016 and Windows 10 stopped reporting to WSUS after May update RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to reach out to see if this problem is known and possibly a fix. After updating our systems for May, all of our 2016 servers stopped reporting to WSUS, as well as, our Windows 10 machines. The WSUS server is on 2016 (not reporting also). The strange thing is, all of our 2012 servers are reporting as scheduled. We have checked group policies and could not find anything that had changed. We have ran a cleanup with no positive results. Thank you all for your time. 
    Tuesday, May 26, 2020 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi DS_2020,

Thanks for your posting.

For your issue, please consider providing Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 client installation update KB number. If it's convenient, please check Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 OS version.

Please try to press Windows Key + R to start the "Run" dialog box and enter the "winver" to check the client OS version.

I do not know if you have checked the connection between WSUS and the client that reported the error. Please refer the link below:
    http://wsusname:portname/ClientWebService/client.asmx
    http://wsusname:portname/selfupdate/iuident.cab

If you have any updates about this issue, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 1:24 AM
  • Thank you for responding. 

The Windows 10 version is 1809 and it stopped updating the status in WSUS after KB4551853.

The Server 2016 version is 1607 and it stopped updating the status in WSUS after KB4556813.

All the windows 10's and Server with these KB's stopped reporting their status after we installed the KB's. All these machines are still checking in to get updates from the WSUS but not updating their status. We have to manually check to see if they checked for updates. All of the Server 2012 we have are reporting just fine, as well as the Windows 10's that did not install the updates. We tried to uninstall the updates but they still did not check pack in to WSUS with their status. 

Dan

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 2:08 PM
  • Hi DS_2020,

Thanks for your posting.

Please add the "Last Contact" column to the WSUS console as follow the picture:

If the client does not contact the WSUS server properly, there may be a problem with the WSUS server and client connection. Please consider referring to the link below to check the client's connection to the WSUS server:

http://wsusname:portname/ClientWebService/client.asmx

The following image is a normal display for your reference:

http://wsusname:portname/selfupdate/iuident.cab

The following image is a normal display for your reference:

If you have any updates, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita       

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:05 AM
  • Rita,

As stated before the 2016 servers and Win10 workstations are checking in everyday but their status is not updating. I have added 2 servers last week and the last status report states "not yet reported". This is true for only my 2016 servers and Win10 WS. All of this occurred after we installed KB4551853 and KB4556813. My 2012 Servers are reporting correctly. As for the communication, I am able to get the first web page but downloading the cab file I am being blocked. We are blocked to download anything over the internet for security reasons. The servers do not have the rights to use Internet Explorer to download any items. It is even blocked on my Server 2012, which are functioning correctly. Any suggestions as to what the machines stopped reporting after this last KB was installed? Again, thank you for your help.

Dan 

Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:37 PM
  • Hi DS_2020,

Thanks for your posting.

I don't know if you've tried database cleanup recently. If not, it is recommended to refer to the following steps:
    1. Please consider adding the "Supersedence" column to all updated views in the WSUS and sorting based on this information:

You can decline the below superseded updates for the following flags:
    Blue square in the middle: this update has been superseded by another update and superseded another update as well, this is an example of an update you may want to clean.

Blue square in the right below corner: this update has been superseded by another update, this is an example of an update you may want to clean.

2. After you decline all superseded updates. You can use the cleanup wizard to clean up.

3. Once you've done the following, consider an update check on the client.

Regards,
    Rita

Friday, May 29, 2020 7:44 AM
  • Hi DS_2020,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any issues, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Monday, June 1, 2020 8:05 AM
  • Rita,

Sorry, I was off for a long weekend. I have done a clean up and the WSUS is not reporting the status. The effected machines are still contacting the WSUS but is not changing the status. 

Have you had any issues after installing the KB's I have provided in an earlier post? Also, do you work for Microsoft? Thank you for your time. 

Dan

Monday, June 1, 2020 12:14 PM
  • Hi DS_2020,

Thanks for your posting.

After checking, these two updates have no effect on the client's normal reporting. For more information about these two updates, please refer to the links below:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4551853
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4556813/windows-10-update-kb4556813

The following links are used to troubleshoot client-abnormal reports for your reference:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/sus/tips-for-troubleshooting-wsus-agents-that-are-not-reporting-to-the-wsus-server

It is recommended to check the section where Windowsupdate.log is wrong. Open PowerShell as administrator and enter "get-windowsupdatelog" to get windowsupdate.log.

Regards,
    Rita

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:30 AM