none
cannot attach/install agent on windows server 2008 r2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am not able to install agent. This server was formerly protected by another DPM 2010. Unfortunately the agents were not deinstalled before this server was decomissioned. So I uninstalled the agent manually and that was OK - there were no DPM folder or DPM registry settings left.

Next I tried to install the agent from DPM Console but this failed. So I tested communication (ping, RPC, WINrm) and no problem there. No firewall on the servers.

So I tried to attach the servers. I am not sure if the order of installation step is important. First I went to the server and copied the Agent onto the server. I executed the agent and this went fine. I used SetDPMServer to set the dpmserver and this was OK. Now I went to DPM Server and did an "Attach" of the server. I see the servers but the "Agent Status" stays "Installing 1%" and after some time I receive an error.

Error ID on DPM Server: ID 316

Error in Event log on "protected server": A DPM agent failed to communicate with the DPM service on <<var>server</var>> because of a communication error. Make sure that <<var>server</var>> is remotely accessible from the computer running the DPM agent. If a firewall is enabled on <<var>server</var>>, make sure that it is not blocking requests from the computer running the DPM agent (Error code: 0x800706ba, full name: <<var>server</var>>).

As I said: I checked the communication between DPM and protected server = this is fine

I checked if the account is in the security groups (like DCOM users) = the account is in those groups

There is no firewall on the server itself (there is a firewall between those servers) but I installed 10 more servers and those worked just fine (they also had the agents of the previous DPM server installed).

Anyone has an idea what else to test to find the error?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I realize that there is a firewall in between the two servers and that other servers through the firewall work with no issue.
    There could still be blockage though.  Maybe that port for that server is blocking some traffic.  Maybe that server (ip) is not the the ACL for that firewall.
    Question: 
    1.) IF you go to the DPM server and type from a command prompt: "tracert <Protected servername that has no issues>.  Note the hops in between.
    If you go to the protected server that works and type: "tracert <DPM name>" .  Note the hops in between.

2.) NOW go to the DPM server and type from a command prompt: "tracert <Protected server namd that has the problem>.  Note the hops in between.  Are they taking the same path as the server without the problem?
    Go to the protected server having the problem and do the same thing to the DPM server. Note the hops in between. Are they taking the same path as the server with no issues.

Test the following connectivity test on from the protected server to the DPM server and from the DPM server to the protected server.

From protected server to the DPM server
    ping <protected server name>  <---succeed or fail
    net view \\<protected server name>  <---succeed or fail
    Sc \\<protected server name> query  <---succeed or fail
    Wmic /node:"<protected server name>" OS list brief   <---succeed or fail

From the DPM server to the protected server
    ping <protected server name> <---succeed or fail
    net view \\<protected server name> <---succeed or fail
    Sc \\<protected server name> query <---succeed or fail
    Wmic /node:"<protected server name>" OS list brief <---succeed or fail

On the protected server and DPM server, for testing, type from a command prompt:  net stop bfe
    this should stop both the integrated firewall service and IPsec on each server.  Does the agent attach now?

Thanks,
    Shane

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Could you try the steps documented @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399164.aspx
    -- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:54 PM