Dark (or Light) now! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Nice that Outlook now applies Dark to reading the mail items.  It can be switched back to Light via the button marked by the red arrow

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

• Changed type Perry-Pan Wednesday, October 30, 2019 4:21 AM
    • Changed type Perry-Pan Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 12:39 AM

All replies

• Yes, Drew. Dark mode of reading pane was introduced in version 1909! Users can upgrade to newest version to get this feature :)

Official link: Dark Mode in Outlook 

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, October 30, 2019 4:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:06 AM
  • Allow me to clarify/explain.  I am an Office Insider.  And the picture I showed is from 19002 Insider Build.  On 18362 and Outlook not on Insider track, this is not there.  It will find its way to non-Insider installations of Outlook soon.  Ergo, one can be on 1909 & not have this.  The non-Insider Outlook, without this, on 18362 IS 1909.  So is the Outlook in 19002 that IS on the Office Insider track which, has the Dark/Light button & reading pane ability.  Has to be office Insider track, right now, to have this not, just be on the latest version which, is 1909.  Both on mine are, but, both are not set to Insider & that's the difference.  "Targeted" with monthly updates does not have this.

Also, notice the button is not in the same place as the article shows. Wish that article showed a date it was written.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

• Edited by Drew1903 Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:03 AM
  • I'm using Monthly Channel and can see this option normally on my client (Office 365 version 1910). According to the Research Note, Dark mode of reading pane was introduced in version 1909 (September 30 2019). 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:08 AM
  • That's not 1909 you are showing. Hence the difference.

Cheers,
    Drew

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:25 AM
  • And here's this development...

The Outlook in 18362 that was "Targeted" Monthly updates and (was) on 1909, did not have the Dark/Light button. That was switched to "Insider" AND told to Update now. It became Version 1911 (Build 12215.20006 Click-to-Run) and has the Dark/Light button. The Update is as of October 25th on Insiders Fast Track.

Oh and Read aloud has been advertised as a What's New item in spite of existing for a while, already. 

Cheers,
    Drew

• Edited by Drew1903 Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:25 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Perry,

Somewhere you say something about my using the Insider Build "as a workaround". 1st a workaround to what?  It seems you are very much misunderstanding something.  I do Insider work on purpose.  I am an Office, Windows, Bing & Edge Insider.  I have been beta testing for MS since pre-Vista.  So, yes, I will, indeed, use whatever is the latest available (to Fast Track Insiders).

Actually, I said it went to 1911 (not 1910). And, no, it is not a matter of anything not installing correctly.  Many of the Insider Features do not go to all simultaneously; Controlled Feature Roll-outs.  We often experience the same with Insider Builds for Windows & Edge. This has been particularly true of items associated with Dark.  One, always, knows if 'it' (something) doesn't show (as advertised), 'it' will in the next Build.  Plus, it's proven by the fact that the IB had it & the host did not, even though same Version & Build; 2 different machines.  It is not uncommon & does not suggest anything going in flawed.

And, now, the one in the Windows10 IB has, also, been updated to Version 1911 (Build 12215.20006 Click-to-Run)

I am sharing the (new) Feature with people that they can be aware of its existence.  I trust the point of the OP is clearer, now.

Cheers,
    Drew

• Edited by Drew1903 Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:53 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:48 AM
  • I'd like to confirm with you the current issue is that users using Office 365 client with version 1909 don't see the Dark mode icon, right?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:54 AM
  • No, first of all there was/is no "issue" (or problem).

2nd the OP was/is informing people of the recent addition of a Feature in Outlook.  Some on 1909 may see it, some may not.... since you opened that can of worms.  Those who do not have it may in a later Build or Update.  Features seen at any given time will depend on whether the User is an Insider or not & on what Track.

Cheers,
    Drew

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:03 AM
  • OK~ thank you for your sharing

Friday, November 1, 2019 5:10 AM
  • You're welcome, my pleasure.

Cheers,
    Drew

Friday, November 1, 2019 5:19 AM