none
Convert Step Number to Task Sequence for debugging..... RRS feed

• Question

• When MDT works its an awesome timesaver.  When there is an issue trying to find it can be a challenge....

I have an OS build that is hanging.  The Monitoring function tells me the current step number but it doesn't tell me what Task Sequence step is running.  Is there an easy way to determine the task sequence based on the step number or am I stuck with counting tasks from the beginning?

TIA!

MDT Team, it would be nice to add the step number in the task sequence editor!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:17 PM

Answers

• I believe that this issue is that WIndows 8.1 is not compatible with ESXi 5.0.

I ran the same build task using a VM hosted on Virtual Box and it ran without issue.

Thanks for all the responses!

• Marked as answer by BDS_Vince Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:12 PM

All replies

• There is no explicit correlation like that.

If you have problems, check the bdd.log/smsts.log file.

If you have problems debugging, copy the log file to a public share Like Skydrive and copy the link here.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:25 PM
  • I'm attempting to build a Windows 8.1 image on ESXi 5.0 and the problem is I get the spinning wheel during one of the reboots.  I can't get into the system to explore the logs....

I was hoping to catch a clue based on the last successful step.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:00 PM
  • I'm attempting to build a Windows 8.1 image on ESXi 5.0 and the problem is I get the spinning wheel during one of the reboots.  I can't get into the system to explore the logs....

I was hoping to catch a clue based on the last successful step.

Thanks!

Boot with a winpe disk, use diskpart's list volume command to list the partition drive letters.  Go to the task sequence log folder on the drive.  use net use z: \\server\share and then copy the log files to the server.  upload to dropbox and post here.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:16 PM
  • I believe that this issue is that WIndows 8.1 is not compatible with ESXi 5.0.

I ran the same build task using a VM hosted on Virtual Box and it ran without issue.

Thanks for all the responses!

• Marked as answer by BDS_Vince Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:12 PM