none
Creating a DNS Record for a Host with Two or More IP???

Question

• Can we create DNS A Record for a Host with Two or More IP ... ( we like to use my website  "mysite.com" pointing to two Ips )

Please help...

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:49 AM

Answers

• Sure, no worries.

In a production environment DNS will query always the first record it will stores in cache, you need to find a dynamic or NLB way to achieve the automatic fail over else when you will have an outage with the first IP, then you need to ask your clients to clear the cache and register to DNS again, this i will not suggest in a production environment, lots of manual efforts and doesnt sound like a solution in a production environment, i would suggest you to explore windows NLB, it's easy to set and use the OS license.

Thanks

Inderjit

• Proposed as answer by IJSingh Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Shen5Moderator Monday, December 29, 2014 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no technical restriction on creating two records pointing to same host but DNS will always pick the first one, what exactly you want to achieve with this, if you are targeting for NLB, i would suggest you explore windows NLB and point your DNS record to the virtual IP of NLB server, NLB will do the load balancing when you have an outage with one of the server part of NLB.

Thanks

Inderjit

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:09 AM
  • hi, Thanks for your prompt reply..

currently it is pointed to my one public IP but when my ISP link goes down, my site dosent work.. so i was thinking to point my website to backup public ip.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:28 AM
  • Sure, no worries.

In a production environment DNS will query always the first record it will stores in cache, you need to find a dynamic or NLB way to achieve the automatic fail over else when you will have an outage with the first IP, then you need to ask your clients to clear the cache and register to DNS again, this i will not suggest in a production environment, lots of manual efforts and doesnt sound like a solution in a production environment, i would suggest you to explore windows NLB, it's easy to set and use the OS license.

Thanks

Inderjit

• Proposed as answer by IJSingh Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Shen5Moderator Monday, December 29, 2014 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Hi

Pls provide an update on the issue.

Regards

Inderjit

Monday, December 22, 2014 6:26 AM
  • Thank you indrajeet,.. I was on leave..

Can we configure the same in 2008 r2? Please let me know the step, I am bit confuse here..

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:48 AM