none
Does InfoPath Designer 2010 come with a Master Detail 'Container'? ...I don't seem to have one...

Question

• Hi

I want to create a master detail form to display in SharePoint.  I saw a video where someone opened their InfoPath 2010 Designer and under the 'containers' was a "Master/Detail" containter.  I do not have that in my copy of InfoPath Desiger.  Is there a separate install?

How may a newbee create an infopath master detail interface that will be accessed in SharePoint?

Thank you

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:21 PM

Answers

• This is a new form, not based on anything.

Originally I was trying to use the "blank form" template, but discoverd that the "Blank Form (InfoPath Filler) is the one that contains the 'Master/Detail' container.  I was looking for it in the 'blank form template' but it does not exist there.

Now I assume my clients will need "Infopath Filler" locally on their PC or MAC in order to use the form, correct?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:36 PM

All replies

• If you base your form on an existing source (xml-file) than the master/detail control is available.

refer this link for information about the control: Add repeating data controls

/blog twttr @esjord

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:50 PM

Originally I was trying to use the "blank form" template, but discoverd that the "Blank Form (InfoPath Filler) is the one that contains the 'Master/Detail' container.  I was looking for it in the 'blank form template' but it does not exist there.

Now I assume my clients will need "Infopath Filler" locally on their PC or MAC in order to use the form, correct?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Sorry I don't understand your question. You can't develop forms with InfoPath Filler.

/blog twttr @esjord

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:27 PM

Infopath Filler is "off-line" (for Sharepoint and browser) mode of the same Infopath Designer executable though shown as separate icon (entry menu). Well, and it (or rather in this mode) can be opened as such directly

Otherwise, it can be opened from Infopath Designer by either:

• creating a new Infopath Filler (non-browser) form
      File (tab) --> New --> Blank Form (Infopath Filler)
    • or by opening previously saved  (non-browser) form (created in Infopath Filler), supposedly from network share, .xsn file 

Master/Detail Control is visible only from Infopath Filler (under "Containers" of ribbon's "Controls" gallery drop-down-list) and cannot be rendered in browser  and requires locally installed in all clients Infopath to use it.  

Guennadi Vanine -- Геннадий Ванин (Новосибирск). Connecting from Windows XP SP3 (32 bit) to Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter (64 bit, Sharepoint 2010, MSSQL 2008R2, IIS 7.5, mounted as VM) over RDP using NLA, TMG 2010 SP1, client certificate

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:33 AM