How to disable folders from autoexpanding when using drag and drop in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I have some staff complaining that when they are in Explorer (Win 7 Pro) and use drag and drop by dragging on a folder\file from the right side of explorer to a folder on the left, if they are not quick enough the folder auto expands as they are releasing the file\folder and it drops into the wrong folder by accident.  Is it possible to disable folders from autoexpanding when using drag and drop in Win 7? Please test out your answers before offering them up, since so far my googling has not come up with any working answers.  I have checked out increasing mousehovertime and disabling Friendly Tree in the registry, but that doesn't seem to help.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

• There was a huge discussion on that here as well.  The discussion's outcome as of now is that the designers of Explorer label it as "by design", while lots of people don't like the design.

Incidentally, the problem isn't exactly just auto-expanding all by itself.  It's "autoexpanding when the display needs to scroll to fit the subfolders".   For example, if you try to drag/drop into a folder with only a small number of subfolders where there's room to expand without scrolling the display, the drop location won't move.    For now, there's no answer other than "wait an extra second or three and confirm the drop location carefully".

I liked XP's hovering paradigm better:  You had to hover over the "+" sign specifically to expand, but with Windows 7, hovering over the folder name expands too.

• Marked as answer by ABC_admin Monday, December 12, 2011 10:25 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 10:02 PM

All replies

• There was a huge discussion on that here as well.  The discussion's outcome as of now is that the designers of Explorer label it as "by design", while lots of people don't like the design.

Incidentally, the problem isn't exactly just auto-expanding all by itself.  It's "autoexpanding when the display needs to scroll to fit the subfolders".   For example, if you try to drag/drop into a folder with only a small number of subfolders where there's room to expand without scrolling the display, the drop location won't move.    For now, there's no answer other than "wait an extra second or three and confirm the drop location carefully".

I liked XP's hovering paradigm better:  You had to hover over the "+" sign specifically to expand, but with Windows 7, hovering over the folder name expands too.

• Marked as answer by ABC_admin Monday, December 12, 2011 10:25 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Thanks John,

I had a feeling from what I read that this is "by design" for Win 7.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Monday, December 12, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Horrible isn't it?

There may be no way to turn it off, but the hover delay before the folder expands is governed by your double-click speed so set this as slow as you can tolerate then maybe you'll have moved past the folder before it expands.

• Proposed as answer by BioImages Friday, October 11, 2013 2:08 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 2:07 PM