none
Business Intelligence Center - Sample Reports in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have a quick question, regarding the Excel Services for the Sample Reports. When I open the reports in Excel (Open in Excel), does it need a connection to the DB server via Port 1433 or will this be handled via the URL to the WFE and then to the DB server?

Thanks

Joerg

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:08 AM

Answers

• When you open the report in browser, it connects through excel service application--> Secure store -->Database

From the same page--> if you open in Excel it carries the info what it opened in browser (Snapshot) (static)

Suppose if you save the excel file on the local machine, later it will try to access the database directly through 1433. (Based on the connection string mentioned in the Data -->connection string)

In your case. check from the machine which has access to SQL server and machine which doesn't have access to sql server to get clear idea

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:09 AM

All replies

• When you open the report in browser, it connects through excel service application--> Secure store -->Database

From the same page--> if you open in Excel it carries the info what it opened in browser (Snapshot) (static)

Suppose if you save the excel file on the local machine, later it will try to access the database directly through 1433. (Based on the connection string mentioned in the Data -->connection string)

In your case. check from the machine which has access to SQL server and machine which doesn't have access to sql server to get clear idea

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Problem is that I can open the Excel report succesfully in IE browser. But when I click "Open in Excel", its opening the basic report. Then I get an error message

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

This sounds like Excel tries to connect directly to the datasource.

I will check from a server with access to the SQL Server.

Joerg

Friday, January 14, 2011 4:35 PM
  • When you open the reports in Excel it needs to connect directly to the Reporting DB - it only works through Secure Store if you access them via Excel Services.

What you should do is to create AD groups (as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-za/library/ee662106(en-us).aspx), one for Authors and one for Viewers.  You can then give the Authors group access to the RDB, and add any people that need to create Excel reports into this group.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:23 PM