Slow Logon Times RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a tool that can help analyze what's going on during the logon process?  It isn't making sense to me why our Windows 7 thin clients are taking forever to log in.  The only thing that I am seeing is the Citrix Edgesight tool.  We are a Citrix shop, but don't have EdgeSight in our environment.  Is there a Microsoft tool that can help diagnose slow logon times.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

--Scott

Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Here is a great article with tools and suggestions for troubleshooting slow logon times.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10128.tools-for-troubleshooting-slow-boots-and-slow-logons-sbsl.aspx

• Marked as answer by slrobb Friday, June 8, 2012 2:14 PM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

Before the OS presents the desktop, it loads any start-up scripts, security configurations, additional drivers and services that you may require or have installed. My suggestion is add another user, log out and log in as the new user. If the problem goes away, then it’s something that your normal user account is loading, probably a start-up program or a massively big file in the Documents library. As this reason, the clean boot is needed. Additional, you should be interested in Optimize Windows 7 for better performance.

If your Windows 7 in domain, the below link would help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2561285

Finally,  some hard devices also can effect Operation System’s starting  time, such like hard disk. For example, if you change your HDD to SSD, you would find the boot time of the system will become very fast.

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion Nate.  This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Friday, June 8, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Spencer, thank you very much for your response.  I have actually already tried this.
    Friday, June 8, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Nate,

After working through getting this installed and trying to run a test, I am getting the following error:

xperf: error: UserTrace: there is not enough space on the disk. (0x70)

The thin clients running WES7 only have 4GB of flash memory.  Are you aware of a way to run this remotely.  I am not finding anything out there.  I appreciate all of your help on this.

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:32 PM