WSS 3.0 - Missing Configuration Manager after SQL Management Studio Express 2005 install - can't shrink files RRS feed

• Question

• I inherited an (undocumented) WSS 3.0 installation that runs our Intranet site.  It has the built-in SQL Express 2005 as its database engine.    It is running on a Windows 2003 Enterprise 64-bit SP2 VM.  I’ll call it OURDOCSERVER. 

In the process of troubleshooting an error message from Symantec Backup Exec that occurred each time our “backup transaction log” job ran (“A log backup was attempted on database WSS_Search_OURDOCSERVER  that is not configured to support log backups”), I noted that most of the log files (LDF) in the data directory on OURDOCSERVER are HUGE.  As one example, WSS_Content_log.ldf is 19 GB (YIKES!!) and WSS_Content.MDF is 9 GB.  This is of great concern because disk space appeared to be disappearing at a rapider-than-normal rate (and, of course, everything got configured in the default c: location, oy).  I was concerned that the Sharepoint-aware backup job was not configured or working properly (the "non-exception" portion of the backup is only about 400 MB), so called Symantec. 

The engineer dialed in and said that the backup job appeared to be running correctly but the logs needed to be shrunk on the SQL side with DBCC SHRINKDATABASE and DBCC SHRINKFILE referencing the logs (Symantec KB article:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH33654) to recover the physical disk space.    He said that Backup Exec only did a “logical” truncate and SQL Server Manager needed to do the rest. 

The engineer determined that we did NOT have any SQL management tools on OURDOCSERVER so directed me to download and install SQL Server Management Studio Express 2005 (64 bit for my 64-bit server). 

We attempted to connect to the WSS 3.0 server (OURSERVER) in Server Management Studio Express.  We saw other SQL servers in the environment and were able to connect to them by browsing and then selecting them, but not to OURDOCSERVER (the name appeared, but no version of SQL next to it).    The “Additional info” in the error message was:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

In addition, “Configuration Manager” appears to be missing from the Start menu on OURDOCSERVER .  My choices under Start/MS SQL Server 2005 are “Configuration Tools/SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting” and “SQL Server Management Studio Express”. 

So, I’d like to shrink these transaction logs physically to recover precious disk space, but I seem to be without the tools to do so.  I’d like to get some guidance on where to find the tools I need OR get this task done via some other means. 

A couple of other observations that may or may not be relevant: 

In SERVICES.MSC on OURDOCSERVER, “Windows Internal Database Service” is started, “Windows Sharepoint Services Administration” and “Windows Sharepoint Services VSS Writer” are not, but the other “Windows Sharepoint Services” services are.  (Sorry, WSS 3.0 noob here.  I have some experience with MOSS 2005 and 2007, but it’s pretty basic.)

As another note – most of the log files (except the templog.ldf) had a timestamp of when we last shut this server down – we ended up doing it from the VMWare console instead of shutting it down via the OS.  This was before we ran the last “transaction log backup” job.  This might not be relevant but I thought I’d mention it.  We plan to patch and reboot this server early next week in a more orderly fashion. 

Many thanks for any assistance with this. 

Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:17 PM

All replies