Failed Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 Migration RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer whose literally in the middle of an Exchange 2010 deployment. They currently have an Exchange 2007 environment and the 2010 implementation has not gone well with the vendor they originally chose. So now they're looking for assistance to complete it and I'm trying to find a way to draw a line between the two installation to be able to get things fully operational in the most transparent manner.

Their biggest problem right now is that all RPC and Client connections are going through the Exchange 2010 systems instead of the Exchange 2007 systems. This is causing all sorts of havoc because the the 2010 systems are not fully operational so OAB and Availability lookup fail. When running a test email autoconfiguration from Outlook 2010 it shows that EWS is going through the 2007 systems but OAB and the OWA is going through the Exchange 2010 systems. I believe this is due to the configuration of Autodiscover but I'm at a loss as to reconfigure it to only send users through the Exchange 2007 front-ends.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:11 PM

Answers

• You are probably looking at an Autodiscover war. This is where both Exchange servers are publishing their address to the domain.

Change the value of AutodiscoverServiceInternalURI on get-clientaccessserver on the Exchange 2010 server to point to the Exchange 2007 server, so that both servers are issuing the same URL.

Then ensure that the OAB and other virtual directories are configured correctly on the Exchange are correct.

Simon

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Friday, March 30, 2012 9:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:50 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:54 PM

All replies

• You are probably looking at an Autodiscover war. This is where both Exchange servers are publishing their address to the domain.

Change the value of AutodiscoverServiceInternalURI on get-clientaccessserver on the Exchange 2010 server to point to the Exchange 2007 server, so that both servers are issuing the same URL.

Then ensure that the OAB and other virtual directories are configured correctly on the Exchange are correct.

Simon

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Friday, March 30, 2012 9:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:50 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:54 PM
  • It would be better if you could provide more detailed information. For example, the symptoms of issues your customer encountered, the network topology. 

Thanks. 

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:20 AM