none
Fit to pages when printing RRS feed

• Question

• This document

http://s5.jersie.dk/fb/tentestpages.htm

should fit on 10 pages when printed, but it does not.

Why ?

Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:46 PM

Answers

• you can make workaround putting in blank pages as I have done here:

That is bizarre.   The first result suggested that a blank table every second table would be required.  This shows a blank table after 2 works?  WTH?

Did you try the alternating case?  Any other combinations than this one?

Since IE11 doesn't have a Document Mode setting and since Compatibility View forces IE7 Quirks mode, the only possibility that I can think of on that tack would be adding your site into the IECompatData list...

Oh.  Have you tried using Compatibility View? (Alt-T b, etc.)  It works!   So you wouldn't need to make any other manual change to  IECompatData  with that.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:33 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Start by correcting your errors so that your page displays in Standards.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A//s5.jersie.dk/fb/tentestpages.htm

Try selecting/deselecting shrink to fit from the print preview dialog. Pixels aren't dpi.

for questions about html, css and scripting for website developers post to the MSDN IE Web development forum with a link to your website.

Rob^_^

Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Sorry about the error in the document - it is fixed now.

But it had nothing to do with the error in Explorer 11, try to look at it again.

The error is also in Explorer 10, but not in Explorer 9 and older.
    Monday, August 12, 2013 6:15 AM
  • no... your document is still not valid.

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

HTML1524: Invalid HTML5 DOCTYPE. Consider using the interoperable form "<!DOCTYPE html>".
    File: tentestpages.htm, Line: 1, Column: 1

IE9 and lower renders your document with an invalided dtd in IE5 Quirks mode.

IE10 and higher uses IE10 Quirks (near standards).

Post to the IE Web Development forum.

Rob^_^

Monday, August 12, 2013 7:15 AM
  • That change made it even worse - still I believe it is an errror

Monday, August 12, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Hi, Tommy.

As the issue is specific with IE Web Development, you may contact IE Web forum for further assistance.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=iewebdevelopment

Please revert for any clarification on this or any Windows issue. We will be glad to help you.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Hi Rob

I have found a workaround,  putting in blank pages, where Explorer would print them on the same pages.

This is not nessesary in Chrome and Firefox, so I still think it is an error.

I have tried the  IE Web Development forum but my account is not allowed there.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards

Tommy

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Tommy,

code to standards. The Dtd your are using is NOT valid....MSIE <9 correctly interprets invalid dtd's as Quirks. see the w3 conformance checker algorithims.

media="screen print" tells the browser what style rules to use for which media. I don't have a Letter sized screen.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:11 AM
  • Hi Rob

Nevertheless this valid document http://s5.jersie.dk/10pages.htm prints correct on any printer using Chrome and Firefox, and MSIE version 8 and earlier.

Why not in version 9, 10 and 11 ?

Best Regards

Tommy

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:52 AM
  • The error is also in Explorer 10, but not in Explorer 9 and older.

In that case, try using the Developer Tools, Disable All CSS and see if your symptom changes.  That procedure worked around a quirk in IE's Printing before.  This a feature which seems no longer present in IE11 DT (at least the distributed version).  Some people are zapping bits in the registry apparently to enable otherwise unavailable functions so maybe that one is there still too?  <eg>

I think it is a good question to know why every second table in your input file is being given this odd treatment by the print routine.  It prompts the question what happens if you add empty tables for the even ones?   E.g. tables which presumably would occupy zero space on the screen but would accommodate whatever quirk the print routine needs to make out of them?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:24 PM
    Answerer
  • I think it is a good question to know why every second table in your input file is being given this odd treatment by the print routine.

I found something.  As soon as you use a Print function go here

%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_001\AC\Temp\

and do a dir/od then capture the last listed .htm file to Notepad.  I suspect it might help explain why this discrepancy is occurring...

Bad guess.  I just did a Paste as child into About:Blank's Body and this renders the same as the original, so the extra DOCTYPE and the extra (unwanted, erroneous) Meta content values don't seem to be affecting that?   YMMV.

Notice also that it changed your desired precision for width?  We would have to do a windiff of the two files to see what else it has changed.  Perhaps a clue about the even numbered tables would surface that way?

Another way of analyzing this might be to use PowerShell to parse it as XML.  I may have a go at doing that to get some practice with PS.   ; )

Maybe I don't have to go that far.  The DOM Explorer is showing me a difference in what I pasted already, without expanding any of the table elements.  What would
    <style type="text/css">...</style>  do?  And why was it added?  Why can't I delete it?  I can copy it and Paste it into the other example but never delete that (style) element?  Adding it to the original page unfortunately produces no apparent change.  Trying to do a Print Preview of that, ditto.

Even if this is a case of GIGO I think it would be a good idea to complete this analysis to show how absurd it is and hopefully suggest a some more useful "GO" which could be provided with little extra "non-standard" processing.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:27 PM
    Answerer
  • It is correct that you can make workaround putting in blank pages as I have done here:

http://s5.jersie.dk/15pages.htm

It prints 15 pages in Chrome and Firefox and 11 pages in MSIE 11, 10 fine pages and a blank

/Tommy

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:20 AM
  • invalid dtd Tommy.

Rob^_^

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:20 AM
  • @Rob: Valid transitional 4.01 !
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:51 AM
  • you can make workaround putting in blank pages as I have done here:

That is bizarre.   The first result suggested that a blank table every second table would be required.  This shows a blank table after 2 works?  WTH?

Did you try the alternating case?  Any other combinations than this one?

Since IE11 doesn't have a Document Mode setting and since Compatibility View forces IE7 Quirks mode, the only possibility that I can think of on that tack would be adding your site into the IECompatData list...

Oh.  Have you tried using Compatibility View? (Alt-T b, etc.)  It works!   So you wouldn't need to make any other manual change to  IECompatData  with that.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert

Thank you - compability view works :-)

Best Regards

Tommy

Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:48 PM