DPM 2016 - Protection Agent cannot be installed on machine where DPM is installed. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to set up a primary/secondary DPM server configuration, where my secondary DPM server backups up the primary DPM server to a tape library.

When I try to manually install the DPM Protection Agent on the primary DPM server, I get the message above (see Title).

Here is what I believe to be the relevant lines from the install log.  I'm trying to install version 5.0.158.0 of the protection agent.

MSI (s) (E0:A0) [14:39:50:480]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI8DDF.tmp, Entrypoint: DetectDPM
    Action start 14:39:50: _DetectDPM.
    Detected DPM installed on machine
    Protection Agent cannot be Installed on machine where DPM is installed
    1: __MSDPMSetupError 2: -2137450066 3: 1073745902 
    CustomAction _DetectDPM returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 14:39:50: _DetectDPM. Return value 3.
    Action ended 14:39:50: INSTALL. Return value 3.

.NET Architect

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:47 PM

All replies

• Did you ever find a resolution to this? Having the same problem.
    Friday, March 24, 2017 5:38 PM
  • Hi,

The primary DPM server already has the DPM agent physically installed so you cannot install the agent manually.  You just need to use the GUI on the secondary DPM server to install the agent and that will just get them communicating.  Once the agent says OK on the secondary you can add protection.

NOTE: Both DPM Servers need to be the save Major version + same Update Rollup versions installed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by rdlenk_wsu Friday, April 14, 2017 11:32 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 7:26 PM