O365/Outlook 2016: HOw to set default reply-from address? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  Googling this topic produces what appears to be a mess of outdated answers to this question.  So today is Mar 14 2018: is there any option in Office 365 Business Premium using Outlook 2016, to set it so that all replies always come from a certain email address?  :) The user has two accounts in Outlook 2016, one is a POP3/SMTP with a PST file, the other is O365BP.  I'd prefer the O365 one be the Reply-from, even when the user has an email in the PST file highlighted and hits Reply.  

So far I've observed that in Outlook 2016, the Reply address will depend on what mailbox/Inbox you have highlighted, which makes sense to me but we're phasing out the old email addresses so the users would like to reply to the sender that sent to the old address to get them to update their contacts, and ideally it will come From the new address.  

I prefer to keep the environment standardized so want to avoid 3rd party tools for this, but if those would be the only option then please share any info you have, many thanks!  

• Moved by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 15, 2018 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Based on your situation, I'm afraid that you may need to change the reply-account manually.

Besides, I'm not sure whether this is helpful to you. Please check the following rule description. You could set a rule to send automatic reply to addresses in your Address Book. This will only reply to email accounts in your Address Book or Contacts except unmonitored addresses. Create a template to tell others your new Exchange  account.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by viProCon Friday, March 23, 2018 6:27 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, for O365 account, I'm afraid that there is no built-in option in Outlook to choose the account to send a reply from.

If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ to vote for a similar idea or post your own.

It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Outlook. What’s more, if an idea is high voted there by other customers, it is promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 6:42 AM
  • As you intend to phase out this POP3 account and address, I'd recommend not to add it to Outlook but to either configure a forwarder for this account at the POP3 server level or to add it as a Connected Account via Outlook on the Web.

The emails will then be received directly in the Office 365 mailbox and replies will then also come from the Office 365 address.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:41 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:48 AM
  • Have a look at SetAccount tool.

Exchange and Outlook utilities at
    http://www.ivasoft.com

Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Hi guys, thanks for the answers.  In the next couple days I'll give some of this a try - probably will start with testing the OWA suggestion.  The provider's POP3 server has no auto-forwarding believe it or not, but our goal is to have the users manage their contacts by replying to emails sent to the old address letting the person know to update their contact info.  I want to avoid auto-reply options as many emails they receive are sent from unmonitored addresses like billing and such. 

In any case I much appreciate the ansers and will get looking into this further next week (and will mark as answer, etc.).  

Friday, March 16, 2018 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Based on your situation, I'm afraid that you may need to change the reply-account manually.

Besides, I'm not sure whether this is helpful to you. Please check the following rule description. You could set a rule to send automatic reply to addresses in your Address Book. This will only reply to email accounts in your Address Book or Contacts except unmonitored addresses. Create a template to tell others your new Exchange  account.

Regards

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by viProCon Friday, March 23, 2018 6:27 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 8:36 AM
  • No luck, well, I shoul say for two reasons.  One is that we want the user to know which emails are from which, so to deal with that I set a rule in Outlook 2016 to redirect all mail sent to the POP3 account to a subfolder of the inbox.  But also, when I follow the OWA docs for Connected Accounts, once I'm there in OWA on the screen to add an account, the little liine above says something like "you can connect up to {0} accounts".  This is O365 BP.  Either the license is limited or I've disabled something at the user or org level but in any case I feel it's not worth pushing too far.  Reason being: OWA is acting up, which I'll post separately about in a moment.  :) Thanks anyway on this one though.  
    Friday, March 23, 2018 6:24 PM
  • I appreciate it but I don't want to rely on 3rd party tools :) Thank you just the same.  
    Friday, March 23, 2018 6:26 PM
  • I guess we'll say this is the closest workaround option there is, working within the Rules for Outlook 2016.  Thanks for the info I will be testing that out.  
    Friday, March 23, 2018 6:27 PM