Shell has stop working + waiting for remote desktop to start + USB not working RRS feed

• Question

• So now i have an another problem. Two times server do this until this day-at a time the server told me that "shell has stop worked" and then all station is blocked. When i restart manualy, then client say "waiting for the remote desktop services to start". Then i have to wait for about 2-3 minute and then client started. And then i find another problem, that client dont recognize USB key. So mouse and keyboard working, but if i set an USB key to uper USB connectors, then multipoint not recognize him. And everyday is the same story. So at the mornig i have to restart server and wait to start working well. Any solution? Client are Atrust M320, connected by LAN (auto IP)

Thanks

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:38 AM

Answers

• One issue I found is a problem with the cache for drive letters for the thumb drive.  To fix this, you can remap your stations which will clear the cache, but it will also clear out your auto logon settings and any other station data.  If your stations are set up to auto logon you will need to redo that.

To remap your stations , open MultiPoint Manager, and click the "Remap all stations" link on the home tab (it will be on the right). 

I don't see any problems with startup.  Its normal to have to wait up to 5 minutes or more sometimes for the system to complete startup.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:14 PM

All replies

• So, you need to reboot every day to make everything work right?  Are you using WMS 2012 or Server 2016? Are you plugging the USB thumb drive directly into a USB port on the ATrust m320?  This should work and you should not need to reboot.

Would you please try this next time you have an issue?

1) first, plug in a USB thumb drive and see if it works. 

2) If it does not work, reboot the system, and wait for all the stations to connect and the client to start

3) log on as an administrator and run "C:\program files\windows multipoint server\LogCollector.exe"

4) Click the collect logs button.  Wait for it to finish.  That's may take 10-15 minutes

5) When its done, click the view logs button.  This will open file explorer and you will see a zip file with the logs

6) Please email the zip file with the logs to @microsoft.com

Just to let you know, there will be some information in the logs, such as user names that have logged on and that sort of thing, which may be sensitive.  If you have any privacy concerns about the logs please do not send them.  If you prefer, you can look in to the logs themselves and find any errors or asserts and just send those to me.  that may help me determine whats going wrong on your system.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Hello!

Thank you so much for this reply. Sory for late answer, i was in Abroad.

I´am using WMS 2012. Yes, i plug the USB thumb drive directly into a USB port on the ATrust m320.

So i will do this, what you say and then i will send you a report.

This is my second Server. On first server i have exactly the same problem as on second. I was reinstall WMS 2012 and at this time server works fine. Also second server was working fine and then suddenly server shows "shell has stop worked". When i restart server, he say me that there was some problem and i have to switch to station mode. I switch to station mode and then he shows me "waiting for the remote desktop services to start". Server start immediately, but for client i have to wait about 2-5 minute. When they start everything work good, except USB. Mouse and keyboard works good. And then over time all this things repeat again. 

Friday, November 25, 2016 1:01 PM
  • This file is 213 MB large. I send it through Dropbox to @microsoft.com.

So now about 10 day server works fine. But i am afraid that server will do this again.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:19 PM
  • One issue I found is a problem with the cache for drive letters for the thumb drive.  To fix this, you can remap your stations which will clear the cache, but it will also clear out your auto logon settings and any other station data.  If your stations are set up to auto logon you will need to redo that.

To remap your stations , open MultiPoint Manager, and click the "Remap all stations" link on the home tab (it will be on the right). 

I don't see any problems with startup.  Its normal to have to wait up to 5 minutes or more sometimes for the system to complete startup.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:14 PM
  • Hello again!

This solution help me, but only first time. Now i have a same problem, that client do not recognize my USB flash drive.

Example now i turn the USB to client (client 1) and after couple seconds client recognize my USB. Then i go on the other client (client 2) and turn the USB and this client (client 2) don`t recognize USB but previous client (client 1) shows my USB file. I remap the station but it did not help.

In Windows manager it shows me, that i have some USB storage in some client, but i do not have any USB in this client. 

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:23 PM
  • At this time none of USB input on client does not detect USB flash drive. neither if i put USB drive direct in server.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 7:11 AM