none
Baseline cost wont roll up in task view RRS feed

• Question

• We have entered costs in the 'Baseline Cost' column for seven tasks that fall under our main job. The baseline cost on line 0 does not show the sum of the costs entered below. We used a project template provided by our company for use on all projects; I have seen what I can onlly assume is a summated figure in the baseline cost colunm on other (more complex) projects.

Is row 0 in the 'baseline cost' column not a roll-up cell or are we have we done something while entering data that prevents a roll-up figure? 

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hello CaseyNM,

Yes, line zero (Project Summary Task) should show the sum of the baseline costs.  However, it sounds as though you have created your baseline costs in a manner that is not usually employed.  The baseline costs are usually copied from the cost field into the baseline cost when you save a baseline.  It sounds as though you have not saved a baseline, rather manually entered baseline costs?

As a work around -- assuming you do not have calculated costs on your tasks -- add one of the custom cost fields (Cost1 for example).  After entering your costs right click on the column heading and choose "Custom fields" (Project 2010) or Customize fields (earlier releases).  From the "calculation for group or summary row, choose Rollup and "Sum" to have the summary task cost calculated.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:55 PM
  • CaseyNM --

From your description, it sounds like you manually typed the costs in the Baseline Cost column for all seven tasks.  Is this true?  If so, this is NOT how to baseline your project.  And that would also be the reason why the Baseline Cost information does not roll up to the Project Summary Task.  When you capture a baseline for your project, you should click Project > Set Baseline > Set Baseline, and then save a baseline for your entire project.  The system will copy all of the relevant information in the Duration, Start, Finish, Cost, and Work fields into the corresponding Baseline fields (Baseline Duration, etc.) for every task, including the Project Summary task.

Let us know if we are misunderstanding how you are baselining those seven tasks.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:33 PM

All replies

• Hello CaseyNM,

Yes, line zero (Project Summary Task) should show the sum of the baseline costs.  However, it sounds as though you have created your baseline costs in a manner that is not usually employed.  The baseline costs are usually copied from the cost field into the baseline cost when you save a baseline.  It sounds as though you have not saved a baseline, rather manually entered baseline costs?

As a work around -- assuming you do not have calculated costs on your tasks -- add one of the custom cost fields (Cost1 for example).  After entering your costs right click on the column heading and choose "Custom fields" (Project 2010) or Customize fields (earlier releases).  From the "calculation for group or summary row, choose Rollup and "Sum" to have the summary task cost calculated.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:55 PM
  • CaseyNM --

From your description, it sounds like you manually typed the costs in the Baseline Cost column for all seven tasks.  Is this true?  If so, this is NOT how to baseline your project.  And that would also be the reason why the Baseline Cost information does not roll up to the Project Summary Task.  When you capture a baseline for your project, you should click Project > Set Baseline > Set Baseline, and then save a baseline for your entire project.  The system will copy all of the relevant information in the Duration, Start, Finish, Cost, and Work fields into the corresponding Baseline fields (Baseline Duration, etc.) for every task, including the Project Summary task.

Let us know if we are misunderstanding how you are baselining those seven tasks.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:33 PM
  • This comment of mine is really late in relation to this original topic, but I had this same problem & a Google search

brought me to this thread.  Normally, I find that getting a solution from these 'Support Forums', etc are an exercise in futility.  However, I used your 'workaround' & it solved my Rollup Issue!

So, I just wanted to say:  Thank You very much.  It's nice to get a real solution for a change.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:54 PM
  • I'm glad it helped and thanks for the feedback.
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:08 PM
  • Thanks Dale. You saved my day.
    Monday, November 6, 2017 12:55 PM