none
Apply group policy to users on RD session

Question

• I am looking for help on how to setup a group policy.  I have a remote desktop server and I want to apply a group policy when the user logs on to a remote desktop session on the remote desktop host and is not an administrator.  Is there a way to do this and how?

Thanks.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Korazy,

To achieve your goal, you could configure Remote Session Environment policy under the path below.

User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Remote Session Environment

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Remote Session Environment

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754455(v=ws.10).aspx

The policy is existing under Computer Configuration too.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 11, 2016 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Korazy,

You just need add the user to remote desktop user group.

To add user to remote desktop user group:

1. right-click Computer and click properties

2. click remote settings

3. check Allow connection from computers running any version of remote desktop

4.click Select users and add the user to remote desktop group

If the remote desktop host is a DC, you need assign the user with Allow logon through Remote Desktop Service in GPO.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 1, 2016 12:58 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:58 AM
  • I suspect my question wasn't clear.   You response was how to allow a user to logon through remote desktop.  My questions was how to have a group policy apply when they logon through remote desktop on a specific server.  If the user logons to their local desktop, I don't want this group policy to apply.  When the user logs onto to a remote destkop server, I want this group policy to apply.  If me, as an administrator, logs onto the remote destkop server, I do not want the group policy to apply.  The group policy is to harden the desktop to limit certain activity on when a regular user logs onto a remote desktop server.

Friday, April 8, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Hi Korazy,

To achieve your goal, you could configure Remote Session Environment policy under the path below.

User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Remote Session Environment

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Remote Session Environment

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754455(v=ws.10).aspx

The policy is existing under Computer Configuration too.

Best Regards,

Jay

Monday, April 11, 2016 1:20 AM