Bridged network across 4 sites RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm migrating a local charity that has multiple offices from a Linux/samba setup to AD on Server 2012.  The existing network is set up using a bridged VPN that spans a single subnet across all 4 offices.   Expansion is on the cards and being able to work if the Internet goes down is a paramount consideration for them so my question is "How do DCs cope with being in physically separate sites if they have no knowledge of the fact because they're all on the same subnet"?  Is this likely to cause a problem and would it be easier to create a routed VPN,  4 different subnets and link through via AD Sites?

Thanks,

Joolz

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>How do DCs cope with being in physically separate sites if they have no knowledge of the fact because they're all on the same subnet?

There is no problem they are in the same subnet. But we don't recommend deploy like this, there will exist some potential risk.

In addition, these is an example for setting up Active Directory Sites. You could follow it  below:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/03/03/step-by-step-setting-up-active-directory-sites-subnets-site-links/

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks for getting back.  I was leaning towards the sites and services side but just wanted confirmation as it means running round all 4 sites and setting up subnets which is going to add to the workload.  Will have to set a weekend aside.

Thanks,

Joolz

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

>>Will have to set a weekend aside.

Yes,it would take a lot of time .To avoid potential risk,I agree with you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Monday, July 17, 2017 6:22 AM