none
Multiple Mail Retreive after Office Update to Version 16.0.6568.2025

Question

• I have recently updated my Office 2016 to the above mentioned version. After this update, I get hundreds of e-mails loaded down from my POP3 account, which were already loaded down earlier. This process is repeated over the day, so that I have finally a whole bunch of multiplied identical e-mails. I have run the "Quick Repair" function with no change. Today, I have run the "Online Repair" function, which has obviously re-installed the whole Office 2016 package.

Does somebody know about this issue? It looks like Outlook downloads e-mails, which were downloaded earlier , opened but not yet deleted.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Sunday, February 21, 2016 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

We have an important message for you from the Outlook team:

We have a fix for both POP3 bugs: duplicate emails and server-side mail deletion. The fix should roll out in the next couple of days, and once it’s available, we’ll let you know.

Please allow us to take this moment to apologize to everyone who has been affected by these bugs. We do not take lightly the trust our customers place in our application, we understand the pain this bug has caused, and we know we have work to do to earn back your trust. We’re sorry. Outlook’s senior managers are aware of this bug, and our team has been working around the clock to implement and validate the fix. We explored options for pushing an update more quickly, but the options we had available to us didn’t fully resolve the bugs, so we focused instead on developing a full solution, which took more time than we would have liked. Once the fix is fully deployed, our team will be doing a full management review of what went wrong, and how we can do better.

Thanks for your patience here. We'll post another update just as soon as the fix is available.

Anahita Bahrami

• Marked as answer by Joachim Claus Saturday, March 05, 2016 3:21 PM
    Saturday, March 05, 2016 12:06 AM

All replies

• I have been having same problem. I just been on to Microsoft Support but it took half an hour to acknowledge that they have a problem. It really disappointed me that they didn't own up immediately.

There is a secondary issue in that the function to keep emails on the server function in advanced emails no longer works. This is totally useless if you are trying to sync a number of devices like a smart phone.

Microsoft we need an update urgently.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Hi,

If other users meet this issue, please feel free to let me know and post a reply in this thread.

I'm doing researching on this issue now.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Roberto Steiner Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:23 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

I ascertain the same issue. Outlook cleared my pop3 postbox after the first start with version 16.0.6568.2025. Following Outlook delete all retreived mails at my pop3-postbox. Additional, mails come in double or triple times in my Outlook inbox.

My settings are let leave emails at the server and delete them after 100 days.

Switch to IMAP is no option for me and Outlook is definitely useless at this time.

I use temporary my smartphone for access to my pop3-postboxes.

It should by a main function of outlook to handle emails correctly. I hope Microsoft produce very fast a hotfix for this very angry big mistake. -> Thanks!

Best regards,

Ralph O.

• Edited by Ralph Odot Monday, February 22, 2016 7:29 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 7:28 AM
  • I have been testing all this morning.

I managed to remove duplication problem by doing the following

Delete duplicates

Run SCANPST (three times to get no errors)

Compact Mailbox

then run SCANPST until I got no errors again. (It was also three times)

Clearly PST was somehow corrupted after the update.

I have changed the setting in Account / More Settings / Advanced to leave copy on server but unchecked number of days to keep the email.

All emails now appear to be now kept in my POP3 Account. So it confirms my suspicion that it is this function that has been inadvertently changed by this latest update.

We clearly need the 'keep email on server function for a number of days' function to work properly for everybody who has multiple devices.

I will keep monitoring to see if this workaround continues to work and report if it doesn't.  

Simon

Monday, February 22, 2016 12:25 PM
  • Same Issue overhere :(
    Monday, February 22, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Hello Simon,

thank you for sharing your workaround. I followed your procedure, and SCANPST has found errors and corrected them. I had to run SCANPST three times. After the third time it resulted in "Only minor Inconsistencies were identified, which need not be repaired". The "Repair" option was not available in SCANPST at this result. I did the same with my archive.pst with the same results (i.e. needed to run it three times, bevor I got the "Minor Issues..." message.

I will see whether this has helped to overcome the issue of multiple e-mails.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Monday, February 22, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Hello Simon,

thank you for sharing your workaround. I followed your procedure, and SCANPST has found errors and corrected them. I had to run SCANPST three times. After the third time it resulted in "Only minor Inconsistencies were identified, which need not be repaired". The "Repair" option was not available in SCANPST at this result. I did the same with my archive.pst with the same results (i.e. needed to run it three times, bevor I got the "Minor Issues..." message.

I will see whether this has helped to overcome the issue of multiple e-mails.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Unfortunately, this procedure did not solve the problem. I received additional three e-mail duplicates. It happened to e-mails, which I have read, but not deleted them from my inbox, and to e-ails which were already in the garbage folder.

Joachim Claus

Monday, February 22, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Sorry It worked for me. Did you have set in account settings the retention of emails on the server for a number of days. I turned this off as well. I think that problem is actually related to this setting 
    Monday, February 22, 2016 4:49 PM
  • Hello Simon,

I had no time limits set in my account. So all e-mails are stored and not automatically deleted.

This morning, I had again some 10 multiple e-mails in my inbox, which were already received a day before. All of the earlier received e-mails were read and deleted to the thrash folder. 

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:31 AM
  • I have now done a completely new setup. I created new profile and mailbox. I used two different independent email service providers both POP3 services to test.

I still get the same problem, so it is clearly not a server problem as the last Microsoft engineer tried to make out, despite the first admitting they had a problem.

I wonder how I get back to the previous version that worked!!

Microsoft can you answer this????

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:23 AM
  • Simon,

I did more or less the same. I saved all pst-files and deleted them in the Outlook folder. I started Outlook, which created new pst-files. I have then imported all entries from the saved files into the new created ones.

I deleted my IMAP account (I have POP-account for my PC and IMAP for my i-Phones) on both of my iPhones and created new ones.

I still receive multiple e-mails (some two times some three times).

To go back to the previous version of Outlook (Office 2016) is not possible as far as I know. I did not find any way to do so. The only solution is to make a whole system restore to a restore point bevor the Office update.

Joachim Claus

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Hi there,

I too have had the same issues since yesterday. All users using Outlook clients, have had all their emails deleted from the mail server, and consequently from any mail client using IMAP as well. Restoring emails just resulted in them being deleted again off the server. Duplication, or in this case, multiple copies of the same email is also an issue with users. Recreating Outlook mail accounts and reinstalling mail clients, have no affect. Currently users have been told not use their Outlook clients, to prevent emails from being erased. As a result, users currently have to work with their webmail and mobile devices? Not great!

Hope this can be fixed very soon!!

Cheers

Keith

• Edited by keithbaxter Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:00 AM phrase correction
    • Proposed as answer by keithbaxter Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by keithbaxter Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:31 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Same here.

Update do 16.0.6568.2025 deletes the mail from POP account regardless of the settings, and mail download multiple times.

MS support does not understand the problem. I've reverted to v16.0.6366.2068 which doesn't experience the problem.

Seems to me MS is using its "Current Branch" users as guinea pigs.

I do think it has to do something with the PST file, but have no time to troubleshoot this. Waiting for a patch...

Zoran

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Hello Zoran,

dou you have a link for downloading version 16.0.6366.2068 ?

I would like to go back to this version. I tried to reset my PC to a restore point before I did the office update, however it failed.

Joachim Claus

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 4:04 PM
  • Hello Zoran,

dou you have a link for downloading version 16.0.6366.2068 ?

I would like to go back to this version. I tried to reset my PC to a restore point before I did the office update, however it failed.

Joachim Claus

Same problem here. It seems to be bug in version 16.0.6568.2025 .
    It is now doubt as to return to a previous version.

Zoran, 

can you help us?

Thanks!

• Edited by Xuvisku Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:07 PM
  • I think I may of found a work around for the moment, until a fix is issued. The update seems to have changed the behavior of the:  Leave copy of message on the server > Remove from server after [ Number ] Days.

Looks like the update may of set the value to zero, and ignoring any values entered. As a consequence, deleting the emails from the server as soon as they are downloaded to the Outlook client.

To get round this:  

Leave a copy of message on server: Remains Ticked.

Remove from server after [ Number] Days : Unticked.

I have to change this for every email account for every user using Outlook. I've tested this, and it seems to work for now. 

Hope this helps..

Keith

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Keith

This is the same as I did and as you say it seems to work.

However it doesn't stop the occasional multiple emails, which appears happen very randomly.

I note Melon Chan TechNet Community Support was doing some research but that was two days ago.

Simon

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Same issue many users in the company report this problem....

And seems no solution to fix it at this moment.Don't want to change the setting without keep email on email server..

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Yep. I have the same problem across all my pc's. I now have 5000 mails (5 copies of each mail) in my inbox!! Microsoft, please get your act together & resolve!!!!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Hi Simon

Yes it does seems random, that it affects some accounts and not others?

I have 7 email accounts on my Admin computer, and 3 different emails accounts with identical server settings (one with the duplication issue, the other two without issue?). Anyway, I had duplication issues on two of the email accounts? Yesterday, I deleted one account and recreated it, attaching it to it's original .pst file, remembering to untick the "Delete from Server after [#] Days". Since then I have had no more email duplication?

I have just tried it again on the second email account. I did still have duplication of emails. But, I noticed that duplication occurred only to emails that were present on devices using IMAP before the changes.  I just deleted the emails that were duplicating on the device(s) using IMAP. So, now I no longer have duplication. 

I haven't got anymore accounts to test with. But, you could try to delete the emails from IMAP first, without having to recreate the accounts, and see if that works for you? I'm guessing my first email account that I recreated had no emails in the IMAP to begin with, so may of been just a coincidence.

Hope this helps,

Keith

Quick Update: Duplication occurs only where user accounts are using POP and IMAP concurrently. In the Outlook email account, deselect the setting in Advanced: Delete from server after [#] Days. Then clear the all emails on devices using IMAP. Duplication should stop at this point.

• Edited by keithbaxter Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Tried all the recommended fixes, but no luck!!!

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:00 PM
  • Keith,

I can confirm your statement regarding duplications only occur when using POP and IMAP concurrently. The duplications occur, if I open any of the new e-mails in my POP-account, as long as they also exist in my IMAP account.

Deleting e-mails in my IMAP-account usually deletes them from the server, i.e. they do not occur in my POP-account when not already downloaded, and hence they are no longer duplicated.

Duplications (multiple downloads) of e-mails in POP-account only occur for those e-mails which still are shown in the inbox of IMAP-account, either as new e-mails or as already read (but not deleted).

Joachim Claus

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:11 PM
  • All

Just so you are all aware, I only use POP3.

I did recreate the mailbox and profile from scratch without importing any emails (Old ones kept in an archive).

It did the duplications immediately it was set up.

Simon

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:18 PM
  • Same situation, same problems.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:22 PM
  • I use only POP and deselected the Save to Server option.  It worked!!  Thank you, thank you.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:07 PM
  • I did try to repair the office and recreate profile but no luck...
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:59 AM
  • I have verified that this is a bug in POP3 UIDL data store logic in the latest Outlook 2016 version.

The problem is 100% reproducible on a fresh install of Outlook on a fresh install of Win10. 

Steps to reproduce the error and all relevant logs are here...

http://wp.josh.com/2016/02/24/outlook-2016s-new-pop3-bug-deletes-your-emails/

This is a critical bug. It would be great if MS could supply a link to the previous version so users could downgrade until a fix is available. 

THanks,

josh

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Great work Josh,

I appreciate your excellent analysis of the bug. Microsoft should react quickly, as this is a serious issue.

Due to the lack of a possibility to uninstall the last Office Update, I have installed an old version of Office 2016 from October 2015, which I had downloaded somewhere from MS as iso-file. However this can only be a temporary fix. I like to go back to the orderly Office upgrade sequence. Currently I disabled Office Updates for the reason of this bug. 

Joachim Claus

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Please see the following. It works

Revert to prior version
              a) File, Office Account, Update Options, Disable updates
              b) Set a reminder on your calendar to re-enable updates ~April 1
              c) C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun>officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068
              d) Ref O16 version numbers,

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt592918.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Simon

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Thanks a lot, Simon. This works.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Thank so much

I have the same issue, my costumer duplicate and delete mails in server with check "save copy in server"

The configuration is Outlook 2016 ver. 16.0.6568.2025 Spanish 64 bits with POP3 in Office 365 (Exchange Online).

I´m now going to try this.

Very Important new release for Outlook 2016 because it have other important issue.

Tested, all is right!!!!

Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:15 AM
  • Same things here, on a bunch of computers with office 365.

I already noticed the "delete messages older than xx days" solved the empty inbox problem; hoping it will be solved ASAP

Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:19 AM
  • I have 10 computers all with office 2013 / 2016

I can confirm that this issue has occurred on all the machines that have been upgraded to Outlook 2016 with version 16.0.6568.2025.

I had only upgraded 3 of our PCs to Office 2016. We had problems with One Drive indexing correctly on these machines so I left the remaining 7 machines with 2013.

Yesterday my main PC had all the problems reported on here. Masses of duplicate e-mails and it was also removing mail from the server even though it was set to leave them there for 14 days. I checked the office version on the computers with problems and it was 16.0.6568.2025.

I then went into Office Account on the remaining 2 PCs with 2016 and TURNED OFF updating so they would not get version 16.0.6568.2025. However today they have updated themselves to this version and now I have 3 machines with 16.0.6568.2025 even though I had turned updating OFF so I wouldn't get it!

We only use POP3, no computer was set to use IMAP and never has.

Also today, two of the computers I had using Office 2013 and deliberately NOT upgraded to Office 2016 have now upgraded themselves to 2016 version 16.0.6568.2025 since yesterday. They were also set NOT to install updates automatically.

This means I now have 5 of my PCs downloading hundreds of duplicate e-mails and randomly deleting everything off the server.

This is a nightmare and should be easily duplicated by MS as it occurs on EVERY PC with v16.0.6568.2025.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:19 PM
  • .... just a thought.

I called my ISP yesterday for help with this issue before I found this forum. They did some investigation and told me that there had been some IMAP logins on our e-mail account. He said they might be causing this. So I checked every single PC and all 10 of them were set to POP3.

Is there a bug with this version that makes POP3 appear as IMAP to mail servers?

I'm not a programmer but that would explain a lot. Has someone copied the code for IMAP onto the POP3 programming?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:38 PM
  • Just to say I tried all night to replicate the duplication. I was still only able to get duplication, on clients using POP/IMAP. I have not been able to get POP3 Only accounts to do the same thing. I have tried several different scenarios, and could not get a consistent result? 

I agree with Josh that there is an issue with UIDL not parsing or indexing correctly in Outlook or at all, an subsequently Outlook thinks that it has not download the email and reloads the same email. Though, it does not do it automatically at every S/R, and seems to affect some email accounts, but not others?

I tried a rollback route. The roll back solution works, but in some cases, depending on your environment, a roll back may not be possible. If Office is 32bit running on 64bit, it will be prevented from running. Message: This app cannot run on the PC.   If there was a recent installation done, there will be no previous version to return to. A work around for these, if possible, would be appreciated.

I still, would very much appreciate a fix from Microsoft for this as soon as possible. 

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Unfortunately this didn't work for me.  Still seeing the same symptoms

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:45 PM
  • I am having the duplicate email issue as well with 16.0.6568.2025.

I do have one account (my work account) set up as both IMAP and POP.  This account DOES NOT have the issue. I do this because this account does not use and exchange server, so i use POP because some of the expanded Outlook functionally I use is not available with IMAP.

This issue of duplicates has occurred on all the other accounts I have set up as pop, none of which i currently, or have ever had set up for IMAP. The issue occurs sporadically in some cases but if the emails are left on the server, the duplicates continue to increase over time.

The problem does appear to be simple that the local outlook client is not accounting for the fact that emails have already been downloaded when leave a copy on the server is checked. If the leave a copy is unchecked and emails are removed from the server then obviously the emails are deleted from he server and the next send/receive doesn't have anything to download.  I verified this with a Verizon account by moving most of the email in my inbox to a saved folder via the web interface. Now only the few emails i left in the inbox, plus any new emails are duplicated.

Gmail is a nightmare because they use labels not folders, so there is no way I can find to leave anything on the server outside the "inbox" which really includes everything despite the appearance on the website.  The only temporary option there i think is to stop the send/receive on that one and go to the website to read my mail or delete it all, which is not a solution.

quite an annoying waste of my time.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:20 PM
  • Paul,

your statement in the second paragraph is correct, and exactly this is the issue. For years it has worked fine, running POP and IMAP on the same Outlook client. Since the last Office update it does not work correctly. So we still wait for a quick update by Microsoft.

Joachim Claus

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:04 PM
  • My ISP said our server logs showed IMAP logins when we do not have a single PC using IMAP. I have never used IMAP. This means POP3 is acting like IMAP. I think this is important.

I have just spent several hours uninstalling Office 2016 on 5 computers and re-installing Office 2013. I am hoping that none of them upgrade themselves to 2016 without permission again.

16.0.6568.2025 seems to be an untested BETA version.

Fortunately I still have two PCs that have Office 2010 that is performing perfectly. I wish I had never upgraded.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:08 PM
  • My ISP said our server logs showed IMAP logins when we do not have a single PC using IMAP. I have never used IMAP. This means POP3 is acting like IMAP. I think this is important.

I have just spent several hours uninstalling Office 2016 on 5 computers and re-installing Office 2013. I am hoping that none of them upgrade themselves to 2016 without permission again.

16.0.6568.2025 seems to be an untested BETA version.

Fortunately I still have two PCs that have Office 2010 that is performing perfectly. I wish I had never upgraded.

My ISP (myself, we have internal server) shows NO IMAP login on the account; so that's not the clue :)  
    Friday, February 26, 2016 7:44 AM
  • Outlook 2013, version 15.0.4797.1001 started having the same problem as today, trying to list the latest  updates

It seems that uninstalling KB3114715 solved the problem 
    Friday, February 26, 2016 7:45 AM
  • Thanks everyone for interesting input on this problem. I think the auto updates when updates switched off may be associated with Office 365 taking control.

As a temporary work around I used a still installed Outlook 2010 on one laptop without uninstalling 2016 version and took the 2016 version off the task bar to avoid its use.  It picked up the same account setup and PST files and just worked.  2013 version had been removed when 2016 was installed by Office 365.  2010 version predated my use of Office 365.

On another laptop I did not have 2010 version of Office installed but found a downloaded setup file and key so just installed Outlook 2010, not all of Office, without uninstalling 2016 Outlook.  I had to setup the accounts again and used the same PST files, working fine. It even picked up my contacts automatically.

Note - must not open Outlook 2016 version at same time or confusion occurs. Remove any shortcuts to it and from task bar. Could be wise to backup the PST files before swapping versions to avoid risk of corruption.

I am not sure I need to go back to 2016 version of Outlook.  I still have the rest of Office 2016 working fine and Office 365 can update Outlook 2016 when it likes as it is still there.  I might have to avoid using send file by email from Word or Excel as it will possibly initiate Outlook 2016.

I already got auto updates of Outlook 2010 so that has not been upgraded to later version.

Is Microsoft doing anything about this?

• Edited by ColinDG Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Stuart Rye Saturday, February 27, 2016 6:46 AM
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:18 AM
  • Microsoft are aware and recommend use IMAP or revert to a previous update. This KB article has the details.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3145116

Saturday, February 27, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Stuart,

thank you very much for your information, especially the ling to Microsoft knowledge base. Many of us would like to go back to the last "bug-free" Office version. Therefor I copied the related steps from the KB-article:

Revert to an earlier version of Office 2016

1. In Outlook, on the File tab, and then click Office Account.
    2. Click Update Options, and then click Disable Updates.

Note Set a reminder on your Outlook calendar to enable updates on April 1, by clicking Enable Updates under Update Options.
    3. Open a command prompt. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for your version of Windows.
      • Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8: Press Windows Key + R to open a Run dialog box. Type cmd.exe and then press OK.
      • Windows 7: Click Start, type cmd.exe in the search box, and then press Enter.
    4. Enter the following command, and then press Enter.
      "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068
      Note You can replace the version number in the command if you prefer to revert to a different earlier build, such as shown in the following example.
      "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2062

I hope this helps many frustrated users (including me), who did not know how to go back to a previous Office version.

Joachim Claus

Saturday, February 27, 2016 7:51 AM
  • I've tried reverting back to a previous version as Joachim has recommended but i'm getting a message saying the location is not available.  My previous version of Outlook was 2013 i think - this was my first update in quite a while (and has put me off updating other software).  How would i find the version number of my previous Outlook, or is it not as simple as that?

Monday, February 29, 2016 3:10 PM
  • Hello Tim,

the description is only valid for Office 2016. You may not be possible to go back to Office 2013 by this procedure.

You may try Office 2013, e.g Version: 15.0.4797.1003, which is Office 3013 from January 2013, however, I think, to go back to Office 2013 you have to uninstall your current version and make a fresh install of Office 2013.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

• Edited by Joachim Claus Monday, February 29, 2016 5:00 PM additional information
    Monday, February 29, 2016 4:55 PM
  • Hi all,

If you have the most recent Office 365 update installed (version 16.0.6568.2025), your emails may get deleted from the server or you may receive duplicate emails in your inbox.

The Outlook team is aware of the problem and actively investigating the issues. We'll keep you updated as more information becomes available.

For now, please try workaround steps provided in this article (KB 3145116):

• Configuring your email account to use IMAP settings instead of POP3 (only if your email provider supports this).
      OR
    • Reverting to an earlier version of Office 2016 via uninstall of latest update.

IMPORTANT If you disabled the "Remove from server after <x> days" option in Outlook 2016 to fix the delete email issue you're probably now getting duplicate emails in your inbox. To avoid both problems, please re-enable the "Remove from server" option and use one of the other workarounds listed in the KB article.

Thanks for your patience in this matter. We are treating this issue with the highest priority as we work to fix the problem.

Anahita Bahrami

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 1:28 AM
  • Same Problem.  Help! 
    Tuesday, March 01, 2016 3:26 PM
  • I too am having the same issue as discussed throughout this thread.  I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Microsoft considering this has been an ongoing issue since 2/21/16 or longer (based on the date of the first post).  But more then anything I spent an hour on the phone yesterday and even stated that I read of a bug which the Tier 1 Tech would not own up to...  He only scheduled to have a Tier 2 Tech call me (literally) 24 hours later.  The Tier 2 Tech acknowledged that there is an issue and that I should "rest assure" that the engineers are working on this.  That at this time they are advising that I wait to hear back from the Resolution Specialist who will call me to tell me that the fix is available.  In the mean time he said can also call to check - 1-800-936-5700.  At this time they do not have a time frame for the expected "fix".

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 4:13 PM
  • I am having the same problem in the last several days my e-mail message count has gone from approx. 12,000 to at this time 46,000+ and increasing by the minute.

How do I stop this? And when I do, how do I remove all of the duplicate messages?

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 11:34 PM
  • My problem was similar, but not as severe. I mitigated the problem by going to my comcast.net account, and deleting all the emails there. Since they were downloaded to my PC, I didn't need them there. I usually don't bother to delete them directly.  I'm still getting dupes, but only on new emails.  I don't know if that's feasible for your situation, but it might put an end to the email explosion.
    Thursday, March 03, 2016 6:40 AM
  • Yes. I'm having the same problem. Hope it gets fixed fast.
    Thursday, March 03, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Yes I am getting the same issue since outlook update, multiple emails being retreived.
    Thursday, March 03, 2016 9:56 AM
  • Hi everyone,

We have an important message for you from the Outlook team:

We have a fix for both POP3 bugs: duplicate emails and server-side mail deletion. The fix should roll out in the next couple of days, and once it’s available, we’ll let you know.

Please allow us to take this moment to apologize to everyone who has been affected by these bugs. We do not take lightly the trust our customers place in our application, we understand the pain this bug has caused, and we know we have work to do to earn back your trust. We’re sorry. Outlook’s senior managers are aware of this bug, and our team has been working around the clock to implement and validate the fix. We explored options for pushing an update more quickly, but the options we had available to us didn’t fully resolve the bugs, so we focused instead on developing a full solution, which took more time than we would have liked. Once the fix is fully deployed, our team will be doing a full management review of what went wrong, and how we can do better.

Thanks for your patience here. We'll post another update just as soon as the fix is available.

Anahita Bahrami

• Marked as answer by Joachim Claus Saturday, March 05, 2016 3:21 PM
    Saturday, March 05, 2016 12:06 AM
  • Hi everyone,

The issue with POP accounts in Outlook 2016 has been resolved. Please see an update here.

Thank you!

Anahita Bahrami

Saturday, March 05, 2016 3:35 AM
  • Hi Anahita,

Do you have a time schedule?

Kind regards,
    Søren

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 7:44 AM
  • Hello, this post is from March 05 and you didn't post an update. Is the problem fixed now?
    Monday, April 18, 2016 8:36 PM
  • Hello, this post is from March 05 and you didn't post an update. Is the problem fixed now?

I've still got the problem of multiple downloads a couple of times a week, so it's evidently not fixed. I'm on Outlook 2016 (Office 365) - up to date - and using POP3 (to a PlusNet email server) with the option set to leave emails on the server for x days after downloading to Outlook.  [This is so I can see the latest emails on other devices, particularly my phone, even after they have been downloaded to Outlook on my PC.  IMAP would not suit my purposes.]

Without any knowledge of the mechanism of how this 'leave on server for x days' option works, I am unable to think how it is that Outlook is failing to identify emails on the server that have already been downloaded.  I can also see on my email server (accessed via PlusNet Webmail) that some emails are also escaping deletion when the x days specified are up.  All round quite a pain.

I have previously tried the suggested remedies of running Scanpst.exe, and also of deleting and recreating the email profile, neither of which worked.

As to Scanpst in Outlook 2016, it is evidently defective, since it finds errors even in an empty .pst file newly created in Outlook!  It always finds errors in ANY .pst file you give it to scan, no matter how small.  Try it and see.

Deleting and recreating the profile was a pain, since it contains 4 email accounts which had to be entered again from scratch.

Making a change to the affected email account (this error only happens to one - of three which are on the same server (PlusNet)) seems to be one way of causing the fault to occur on the next download cycle.

Is there a chance of a fix sometime?

My wife's computer has the same software and set-up (leaving messages on the server for x days after download to Outlook), but has never run into this problem.  However, she does not access messages via a phone email app, which I mention in case it’s a factor   We just have that option set so we can read her recent messages via Webmail when away from her PC, which is only occasionally needed.

Small relief:
    The process of clearing out duplicate emails is made easier by use of the 'Clean up conversation/folder' facility, but then you still have to delete the messages from the ‘Cleaned-up messages’ folder afterwards.  Also the clean-up does not delete duplicates that have attachments [presumably because the clean-up facility does not examine attachments, so cannot determine whether these are duplicates], so such duplicate emails still have to be deleted manually.

UPDATE 12 November 2017:
    This is STILL going on (generally once or twice a day), and has also followed me to a brand new machine with (obviously) a new email profile and a fresh installation of both Windows 10 and Office 365. How do I get help for this?  I raised a case with Microsoft Support, they have seen the problems first-hand, put it up to Level 3 (along with other faults I demonstrated) and since then (some 6 weeks ago), have heard nothing.

• Edited by A F Ball Monday, November 13, 2017 12:39 AM update
    Wednesday, August 09, 2017 9:54 PM