none
Automated Templates MDT 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if anyone can help me with the following issue.

I am trying to automate the creation of templates which we want to use for deploying virtual machines. What I have so far is this.

I have MDT 2012 setup so that it installs a machine from scratch with our Server Task sequence. I have a database setup so that it matches a machine based on MAC and it basicly runs MDT fully unattended for that VM template.

I created an ISO for the deployment and have vCenter Orchestrator convert the template to a VM, mounts the ISO, change boot order, start the VM which begins the MDT deployment (DoCapture=SYSPREP, FinishAction=SHUTDOWN), waits for it to finish, and undo's the boot order and dismounts the ISO, and converts back to template.

I want this "workflow" to update the template automatically when there are changes like wsus or new version of .Net in the template etc.

The problem is when I deploy a VM from this template outside of MDT, like when you clone a VM with customizations from vCenter. I get the following error when it boots for the first time.

"Cannot find C:\LTIBootstrap.vbs"

So my question is how to create a clean sysprep which I can use outside of MDT ;)

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:57 AM

All replies

• I'll just answer my own thread  ... :P

I think the easiest solution would be to make a custom unnattend.txt for template purposes and remove the <firstlogoncommands> from there.

correct me if I am wrong.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Oke a different issue is then ... 

how to specifiy a different unattend.xml for sysprep. because standard the LTISysprep.swf only uses
     sBuildPath = oEnvironment.Item("DeployRoot") & "\Control\" & oEnvironment.Item("TaskSequenceID")

I don't want to maintain 2 Task Sequences which are identical only to specify a different xml  :S

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:44 PM
  • Are you sure? I find it easier to have a Sysprep and Capture TS that remains untouched (since all I'm doing is sysprepping and making an image, a process that isn't likely to see changes) and then a separate TS for actual deployments. Keep in mind MDT will use an individual Unattend.xml for each TS created. 

Different people have different methods for doing it, but I find it much easier to keep "Capture" TSs and "Deploy" TSs separate.

-Nick O.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:29 PM
  • I do have seperate TS for Sysprep and Deploying, but I dont deploy those images with MDT at this moment.

Well in this case I am not deploying with MDT that's why I get this error. I want to use the sysprepped images as base templates for vCenter Cloning.

Because of the <firstlogoncommands> in the unattend.xml it gives an error on first boot.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:48 AM
  • Oke I am testing with a different Task Sequence for those templates. But after Sysprep I do a restart and I get the same error message.

This is kinda breaking my automated MDT process. I want this to run automatically every month so it updates my template without me having to interact with it (pressing OK on an error message)

After I acknowledged the error and the system does a "final action:shutdown". I can convert the VM to a template and it works fine.

The only issue is I want to automate this!

Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:55 AM
  • If you are doing a Sysprep and Capture and your deployed WIM (however you deploy it) is stating that it can't find LTIBootStrap.vbs, then something is not ending cleanly.  Also, since you are dealing with automating MDT and vCenter, have you seen Aaron Parker's blog (App-V MVP / Citrix CTP): http://stealthpuppy.com/hands-off-my-gold-image-video-powershell-mdt-atlantis-ilio-and-xendesktop-deployment/

It includes Atlantis ILIO and XenDesktop, but you can skip those components and get some other ideas of how to do what you are trying to do.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:33 PM
    Answerer