none
iPhone - How do I troubleshoot timed out requests? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of people who are unable to register their devices (iPhone, iOS 11, Authenticator 5.4.3). They are able to scan the QR code displayed in the portal but Authenticator just times out. I have not been able to reproduce this with my phone and account (also iPhone, iOS 11, Authenticator 5.4.3).

Any suggestions on where I could look would be appreciated.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Orbital,

"Are there any logs for the activity between the bar-code generation and the code scanning?"

For now, we can't find the logs in the app, we can select the 'send logs' with the Microsoft Authenticator App, then post the Event ID here, we will use this Event ID to search your logs.

If you need more help about MFA please let me know.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Orbital.Bob Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:59 PM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Orbital Bob,

For test, can you scan their QR code? If you can scan their QR code, maybe we can re-install the Microsoft authenticator app.

If you can't scan their QR code, we can disable their MFA and re-enable their MFA settings.

Best regards,

Jason

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 20, 2017 2:26 AM
  • Hello, Thank you for the reply and sorry for the delay in my reply, I've been away sick :(

I haven't tried that as I'm in a different site to the person having the issues. As far as I'm aware we are using the same infrastructure on premise. 

I've since heard that the original person having the timed out issues has now had success. I've not changed anything so assume that it was a temporary issue somewhere, although we did try over a span of two days. They did indicate that the process seems slower than normal though. Any guidance how to trouble-shoot the timing? Are there any logs for the activity between the bar-code generation and the QR code scanning?

If I hear of anyone else having the issue I will try and enter the codes on my phone through a remote session.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:13 PM
  • Hi Orbital,

"Are there any logs for the activity between the bar-code generation and the code scanning?"

For now, we can't find the logs in the app, we can select the 'send logs' with the Microsoft Authenticator App, then post the Event ID here, we will use this Event ID to search your logs.

If you need more help about MFA please let me know.

Best regards,

Jason

• Marked as answer by Orbital.Bob Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:59 PM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Thanks again Jason. I've not heard of any further issue so it does look to have been an intermittent problem. I've not been able to reproduce it. If it does return, I will do as you suggest and post the Event ID.

As an aside, are the common reasons for timeouts? Or does this vary considerably for each case?

Really appreciate your guidance.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:59 PM