SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to install SP3 a couple of years ago and it completely trashed my computer (Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4,  2 GB RAM). I kept getting bluescreens and the computer would not start even in safe mode and I had to reformat and reinstall everything. Needless to say, I am not very enthusiastic about trying to install SP3 again. Can you guarantee the same thing won't happen if I try again? My computer has been running fine since then, even after MS stopped supporting XP SP2 and providing updates.

Recently I uninstalled Norton Security Suite 5.2.2.3 and installed McAfee security center v. 11 and neither of my CD/dvd drives worked. I found this Article ID: 982116 and did the 'fix it myself', and now the drives will play cd's, but I still can't burn cd's. I tried uninstalling and re-installing my burning program twice (Sonic RecordNow v 7.3), but it still doesn't see the drives. I also tried installing 'easyburner', and it burned a disc, but the disc is not readable, this is the error message: windows cannot read from the disc. the disc might be corrupted, or it might be using a format that is not compatible with windows.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:52 PM

All replies

• No one can guarantee that you can install Service Pack 3 and not have any problems.

For the problem with your optical drives is associated with upper and/or lower filter settings in the registry.  Go to http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us for more information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Ashik7 Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ashik7 Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:28 AM
  • I have already done the manual version of that fix: I removed the upper and lower filters in the registry and the drives went from being completely non-functional to being able to read discs and play music, but RecordNow still can't see the drives and the other burning software that I installed burned a disc but it is not readable.

greg goodwin

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:47 PM