Get rid of the Windows Defender windows RRS feed

• Question

• Since a few days, the Windows Defender screen shows after boot.

Is there a way to get rid of it? I didn't change any setting and can't find a setting for it either.
    Real time protection is enabled...
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike-X,

Please go to Start, type msconfig in the Search box and then press Enter. (Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.) Click Startup tab, uncheck "Windows Defender" if it is checked. Click OK.

Restart the computer and see if the issue occurs.

If the issue persists, please see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 2, 2009 3:13 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike-X,

Please go to Start, type msconfig in the Search box and then press Enter. (Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.) Click Startup tab, uncheck "Windows Defender" if it is checked. Click OK.

Restart the computer and see if the issue occurs.

If the issue persists, please see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 2, 2009 3:13 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:49 AM
  • Thanks, that did it.
    Though I have no idea how it ended up there so I didn't look into startup items.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 11:38 AM